Chapter 4

August in Hamburg, the city basked in summer's warmth and brilliance. Its residents, along with visitors drawn by its charms, ambled through the city center, enveloped by the sultry embrace of the sun, each immersed in their delightful pursuits. Some meandered among stores, eyes alight with the prospect of a fresh wardrobe addition, while others relished the golden shimmer of their aperol spritz. Still, others, keen to escape the allure of the center, made their way to the water's edge for a refreshing respite. Amidst the hustle, a couple, Eva and Alex, sauntered together towards Octavia.

"I'm so looking forward to seeing you perform tomorrow," Eva remarked, her eyes sparkling as she glanced towards Alex.

His face lit up with a mix of anticipation and joy. "It feels surreal. Like I've been waiting for this moment my entire life. I'm just so grateful they slotted our band into the program. Sure, it's not the grand stage we dream of, but that future beckons. I'll secure a place near the front, keeping my gaze fixed on you. It'll calm my nerves."

Eva chuckled. "Everything will be just fine. You guys have such a robust set, and honestly, the lead singer — well, he's something else, a real Engel. Please complete the song you hummed to me, the one with the catchy melody but no lyrics. I'm certain it'll be a hit once you complete it." With that, she leaned in and planted a soft kiss on his cheek. Their inside joke about referring to him as 'an angel,' had become a cherished part of their shared romance.

The sunlight dappled the pavement as Alex turned to Eva, an eyebrow raised in playful curiosity. "So, have you figured out who's gracing Maria's event tonight?" His knowledge about the ins and outs of Eva's job was uncanny. She'd always shared the minutiae of her daily grind with him, and he, ever the attentive listener, cataloged each detail in the recesses of his mind.

She grinned, a hint of mischief in her eyes. "They're playing their cards close to the chest on this one. But trust me, as soon as I know, you'll be the first. Imagine the scene if I, in my usual grace, upend a bowl of pasta over some celeb's head? That'd be quite the spectacle."

Chuckling, Alex replied, "With your luck? Sounds about right. But I have every faith you'll navigate the evening without incident." His words were a gentle echo of the encouragement she'd given him earlier. "And be sure to send me a picture of whoever it is."

The festive atmosphere grew more and more noticeable as they got closer to the restaurant. While the main event was still hours off, Giorgio had called upon Eva and her colleague, Athena, to come in early to help with the evening's intricate arrangements. A prominent sign hung on the restaurant's door, proclaiming its closure for a special event today.

The doors to the restaurant's antechamber swung open, admitting Eva and Alex into its subdued lighting. For now, Alex gained permission to enter; The sight of Athena greeted them, enthusiastically inflating a slightly sluggish balloon, her cheeks puffing out with each breath. Athena sought a slice of the excitement and was keen to mingle with the celebrities, as the disheveled curls of her brown hair surrounded her face. She attempted to stress her brown eyes with pink eyeshadow, though it gave her a rather pallid appearance. Bright red lipstick adorned her thin lips, leaving smudges at the base of the balloon.

With a gleam of mischief in her eyes, Eva remarked, "Athena, Giorgio invested in a machine specifically for that purpose, you know."

A soft, amused smile danced on Alex's lips, and observing this, Athena cheekily inhaled a bit of helium from the balloon. Athena occasionally threw flirty but stupid glances in Alex's direction, and Eva didn't miss it. But Eva remained unfazed, confident in Alex's unwavering devotion. And truly, he centered every glance and gesture on his beloved Eva.

Her voice, pitched high from the helium, set them into peals of laughter. "Oh dear, what am I even doing?" she squeaked, likely trying to showcase her quirky side to Alex.