013. dalton's destroyed room

CHAPTER THIRTEEN!
[ insidious ]

Renai had reached her breaking point. The recent events had terrified her to the extent that she spent nearly an hour on the floor, sobbing and screaming uncontrollably. Eleanor did her best to console her, but Renai knew she needed additional support. Determined to find a solution, she decided to contact her husband's mother, Lorraine, as well as a priest. The strange occurrences in her new and previous homes were undoubtedly inhumane, and despite having Eleanor by her side, Renai felt the need for someone else to assist her in this distressing situation.

The woman was talking with the priest on the couch, who was telling her to trust her faith, and to not let it go. Eleanor, being an atheist altogether with her dad and never believing in something ever before, didn't understand half of the things the priest was saying, but she was listening intently. The girl was standing by the dining table, leaning on the wall as she listened into what the adults were saying. Suddenly, the front door was opened and there was Josh Lambert, back from work.

"Hello." Josh said with a small voice as he entered his own house with a confused glance at the newcomer.

Immediately after, Renai and the priest she had called both sat up from the couch and walked towards the man. His eyes briefly fixed on Renai before turning to the priest, displaying a look of confusion.

"This is the first line of a joke, right?" Josh said as he looked the man up and down, noticing his religious attire with a boredom look on his face, "A guy comes home to find his wife with a priest." He laughed.

"This is Liam Martin." Renai introduced the priest with an awkward stance, who put out his hand for Josh to shake, to which the Lambert man did immediately, "He's actually a very old friend of mine." The woman added.

Lorraine, Josh's mother, approached Eleanor in the living room carrying a tray with a teapot and tea cups. She stopped next to the girl, offering her a warm smile, and then turned her gaze towards her son with an inexplicable expression on her face.

"What's going on here?" Josh asked, addressing everyone in general. He glanced from his mother to the priest, and then to his wife. He was completely unaware of the situation and had a feeling that he wouldn't be pleased with it. Before anyone could respond, the priest decided it was best to leave the family alone to deal with this matter.

"I should be going," he told Renai and shook her hand with a smile.

"Thank you," Renai replied gratefully. They all turned their attention to the woman holding the tray. "Thank you so much for the tea," the priest expressed his gratitude to the much older woman, who simply nodded and smiled in response.

As the priest exited the house, Josh glanced at him with a bored expression while taking a sip from his water bottle. He then shifted his gaze towards his wife, remaining silent. Suddenly, the man turned back and noticed the young girl standing there, wordlessly. A smile formed on his face.

"Eleanor," he began, smiling. Then he sighed and pursed his lips, "Your dad called me."

Suddenly, Eleanor's eyes widened since she hadn't heard from him all day.

"Is he coming to get me?"

Josh immediately shook his head in denial, "No. He told me he had some issues to deal with so you're staying with us tonight as well. Maybe two or three days more."

Eleanor's eyes widened even more than they already were, thinking of what her father could possibly deal with that he couldn't take care of his own daughter during these days. "What issues?"