Know All About India vs Pakistan: The Asia Cup Edition

Let's read about all the epic clashes between India and Pakistan during the past Asia Cup tournaments as they are nothing short of legendary! After all, it marks as one of the main of the year, right?

1984: The game that started it all! This was *the* game that led to the inception of the withstanding rivalry between these two Asian teams. India and Pakistan faced each other during the inaugural edition of the , which was held in Sharjah, UAE. The matches were played between India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. During the finals, India, led by Sunil Gavaskar, won the final match with 54 runs.

1988: The Asia Cup 1988, also known as the Wills Asia Cup was held in Bangladesh and was the third instalment of the tournament.

During an India-Pakistan match in this tournament, India needed a win against Pakistan but India was unfortunately bowled out at 251!

But that wasn't the reason why this match made Sports News Headlines everywhere. Turns out, it was the last match for Mohammad Azharuddin and Jadeja as BCCI slapped a life ban on them for a match-fixing scandal. Pakistan won one match, while India won two matches, qualifying for the finals with Sri Lanka. In the end, Sri Lanka won by 8 wickets.

2000: The Asia Cup 2000, also known as the Pepsi Asia Cup, was held in Bangladesh.

It was not a good year for India as out of the three matches, they won just one and Pakistan won all three (for the first time!).

And we cannot forget to talk talk about the Abdul Razzaq spell, which ended Pakistan's *title drought* and they won their first Asia Cup! He was responsible for taking wickets of India's top players at the time; Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, which were crucial to their win!

2010: The Asia Cup 2010, also known as the Micromax Asia Cup, was held in Sri Lanka.

During a particular match, India needed three runs on the last ball and every cricket enthusiast was praying for a miracle to happen! And that's where Harbhajan stood tall against Rawalpindi Express Shoaib Akhtar when he hit the ball across the field's boundary, hitting a six making Men in Blue on the last ball of the match.

During this edition, Pakistan came in third place, while Sri Lanka and India made it to the finals.

2012: The Asia Cup 2012, also known as the Micromax Asia Cup, was held in Bangladesh.

This particular series is still remembered by fans as this was the first time Bangladesh qualified for the finals. That's not all, India's Virat Kohli's incredible performance against Pakistan is one for the books- a month after his incredible innings at Hobart, in a match against Sri Lanka.

During a match against Pakistan for the Asia Cup, Kohli came to India's rescue after Gautam Gambhir got out in the first over. Kohli scored 183 runs in 148 balls, reminding us why he is indeed one of the best batsmen of our generation.

Ultimately, India won the match with a six-wicket win with both Rohit Sharma and Sachin Tendulkar scoring half-centuries. Sadly, this was also Sachin's last game where he represented Team India in the ODI format. Overall, India came in third place while Pakistan won their second Asia Cup!

2014: The Asia Cup 2014, also known as the Arise Asia Cup, was held in Bangladesh.

This match was highly covered by every Sports News as for the first time, 5 teams took part, making it a trending Cricket News everywhere.

In a passionate match against India, Pakistan was chasing 245 runs made by India which looked nearly impossible...until Shahid Afridi came to play. The former skipper scored 34 runs in just 18 balls which included two marvellous sixes. He was rightfully named the Man of the Match as he played exceptionally well against Men in Blue when arch-rival Pakistan needed 9 runs in the last over against India's best finger spinner Ravichandran Ashwin.

Under Virat's captaincy, India came in third place, while Pakistan faced Sri Lanka in the finals. In the end, Sri Lanka won the series for the fifth time!

2016:The Asia Cup 2016, also known as the Micromax Asia Cup T20, was held in Bangladesh.