8

The next morning my arm was longer. The bone stretched out from beneath the skin, and the muscle looked like it was hurrying to catch up. It was a good thing too because I could smell another demon far away.

The horsemen were busy packing up their camp. A hush fell over the camp as I approached Albert, but I did my best to ignore it. Of course I looked frightening, that was why I had to find a way to turn back.

"Heading off?" I asked.

"More work to be done," he responded. "You're looking better."

"Thank you. What's in that direction?" I pointed with my stump toward where the demon smell was coming from.

"Just an old town, hardly anyone left there. Why?"

I could have told him about the smell, but the thought of more nights sleeping by myself surrounded by people with guns wasn't appealing.

"Just a direction," I said. "I need to head somewhere." I nodded toward the woods. "How did he turn out?"

"See for yourself."

I followed Albert into the woods. He led me down a hill into a patch of brambles. Yellow blood stained the leaves on the bushes.

The branches rustled and a tall figure appeared from within. He stood in the center with his head down then began to stand up to his full height. His face was smooth and covered in scales, and his eyes had narrow slits for pupils.

"The bug made you a snake," Albert said.

Jon retreated down into the brambles then slithered out from underneath them. His arms and legs had also lengthened much like his neck. When he spoke I saw four enormous fangs at the front of his mouth.

"Everyone should look at me and see someone who has taken the burden of protecting humanity."

"I hope you find the redemption you're looking for," Albert said. "I'm leaving with the rest of the riders. You are free to act as you wish, but do not trouble anyone."

Jon nodded and Albert left to finish his preparations. Jon and I were left alone.

"Are you scared?" I asked.

"No, this is exactly what I wanted. Now I have a second chance to make amends."

"I was terrified when I first woke up. The thought of staying like this still makes me want to throw up."

"That is because you have never known true regret."

Jon suddenly smelled the air. He turned in the same direction that I had looked earlier that morning.

"You can smell it too, right?" I asked.

"Yes, but," Jon's head swayed toward the opposite direction. "I smell another one that way."

I took a long breath in. "I can't smell anything from that direction. Just more wilderness."

"Maybe reptiles have a better sense of smell than deer?" Jon mused.

"Maybe wherever demons come from?"

Jon and I decided to follow our noses. Neither of us wanted to fight with the other over food. We shook hands and prepared to depart.

"Good luck to you Henry, I hope you find a way to turn back."

"Same to you Jon, hope you can forgive yourself."

We parted ways and I wondered when I'd see him again. The thought of someone else like me was reassuring. For the time being my priority was staying sane. I couldn't fix myself if I lost my mind, and I couldn't return to my town without fixing myself.