49. Under the sky

The first night we slept in the van in Black Rock, where reservations were required, before sleeping the next night in Pioneertown. The room was comfortable, pretty and rustic. And for this very first night with the sunroof, it allowed us to look at the stars, lying next to each other on the bed. Temperatures had risen to 31 degrees in the afternoon, before dropping sharply in the evening due to the storm and overnight rain. We woke up soaking wet when we closed the roof of the van. It was refreshing, to say the least.

The campers were scattered over the vast terrain, many of them having pitched their tents, counting fewer motorhomes, far too expensive to buy. Camping in a canvas tent was more practical and less expensive. There were no close neighbors near the van, so we took the opportunity to build a campfire, which Eddie took care of very well. Sitting together in front, on a blanket, after eating what everyone had brought and put in a cooler my uncle had lent me, I asked him more or less jokingly if he had any other hidden talents. He stretched out a smile, his eyes fixed on the fire, then, in a detached tone, replied that he'd done theater in high school.

"Is that true?" I asked, astonished but wary.

Again, I didn't know whether he was joking or not. From the expression on his face after answering yes, I knew he was serious.

"How long have you been making them?

Continuing to stare at the fire, he nodded, noticing the sudden change in his gaze. I couldn't tell if it was filled with melancholy or sadness. He remained silent for a few seconds, then added that he no longer felt the need to continue.

"It's a pity. Maybe you could have been an actor."  I said with a small smile.

His lips then drew a big smile before he shook his head slightly, grimacing.

"My God! No."

"You were pretty good in singles."

He rolled his eyes then, smiling again, not sharing the same opinion.

"I went by instinct, that's all."

We looked at each other, then his gaze returned to the fire before heaving a sigh. Then, all of a sudden, he confided in me the reason he'd left the theater company.

"When I started doing theater, I met my girlfriend who was also doing theater. We dated for a year, then broke up.

"I understand." I said in a  empathetic voice.

As he continued to watch the fire, he asked me if I'd watched Pearl Jam's "Unplugged" on MTV, answering yes. My cousin had videotaped it and sent it to me, telling me I absolutely had to watch it. And she was right.

"At one point, I wrote pro-choice on my arm."

"Yes. In fact, I thought it was very bold," I said with a half-smile.

"Do you know why?"

His gaze then focused even more on the campfire.

"I know it means that the woman has the free choice to decide if she wants to have an abortion." I replied with a more serious air.

"That's right."

At this point, he turned his head toward me and continued.

"The one I just told you about, she got pregnant and had an abortion. "

I widened my eyes, after a short silence, stunned to hear this, guessing immediately.

"She was pregnant with your child?

He nodded yes, looking at the fire, adding that when his parents had found out, they'd moved away without him seeing her again.

"I lied to you when you asked about Black. That song I wrote about that breakup, what happened. She told me two months before she moved out. I was completely crushed and devastated at the same time."