Part 5: Percabeth

Annabeth sat on the beach, gazing out across the lake at Camp Half Blood. I wish, she started to think, but someone came up behind her and poked her stomach, which made her scream and turn around on...

"Percy!" Her stone-gray eyes swept over Percy Jackson, from his wild hair down to his bare feet. "You little-"

"Actually, I'm not that small."

Annabeth rolled her eyes and stared at him. "Do you always intrude on people and their thoughts?"

"Sometimes." He sat down next to her in the sand. "Well...yes. Always. But only on you."

"Why me? Why does it have to be me?"

"Because. I enjoy bothering you."

"I know that. But why?"

"I admire you."

Annabeth paused from what she was doing. She looked at Percy. "You...really mean that?"

"Of course I mean it. Sometimes, I see you training, and I wish we would...you know, communicate more often. I think we would get along better than you think."

"Maybe." She looked back at the water. "Just maybe."

"Percy!" Grover called from the woods, his voice echoing. "Percy, come on, we'll be late for archery!"

Percy looked over at Annabeth and sighed. "Well, I guess is better go."

"Good luck with archery class, Seaweed Brain."

"Thanks, Wise Girl." He reached over and squeezed her hand lightly. "Maybe we could-"

"Hang out later."

"Okay," Percy agreed, standing up and brushing the sand off of his pants with his hands.

"Percy!" Grover yelled.

"Well, gotta go," Percy breathed, jogging up the hill.

Annabeth looked back out at the water and wondered why she never had thought of Percy seriously before. He was a good guy.