Puppets

Mai sat alone in the room. She swung her legs back and forth as she waited for the reunion celebration thing to end. She didn't know quite what to call it as she thought back to what she had watched. Her memories of the show were starting to fade. How she remembered what had happened in it so far was a miracle, though she knew she still had a lot more ahead of her. She heard the soft sound of music being played. It was a comforting melody that relaxed her. 

Mai sighed as she heard the music come to an end. She stood up and walked out of the room. The celebration should be over by now. She walked until she found both Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng. She briefly heard Jiang Cheng ask the other about why he doesn't carry his sword.  She heard Wei Wuxian reply soon after that but she couldn't make out what it was. She was stuck between if she should interrupt or not. She waited for the conversation to end and before Wei Wuxian left she spoke up, though it sounded like a question more than anything. 

"Hello?..." 

The two people jumped slightly and turned their heads towards the direction of the sound. 

"Hello" Jiang Cheng was the first to respond. 

"Hello" Wei Wuxian replied in tow. 

Mai just awkward stood there. She didn't know what else to say. 

"What do you need?" Jiang Cheng inquired 

'Straight to the point, geez.' Mai thought 

"Well....uh....just...uh...thought I say hi?" 

What was she supposed to say? 'Oh yeah I was bored and saw y'all talking and decided to interrupt you.' No. That would be straight weird. 

"You know what, just continue on with whatever y'all were talking about. I'm going to just go." She said shortly after. 

She turned on her heels and began to walk away. Might as well explore this place. It was much different than she expected. The walls had intricate designs forged into them. Mai yawned. She might as well head back to her room. She opened the door and walked in, closing it behind her. She was so ready to go to bed. As she laid down she let herself fall into deep sleep. 

Mai was back in the Nightless City. She saw Wen Rouhan standing next to three pieces of the Yin Iron. She was terrified. How was she back here? Was it all just a dream? Mai didn't dare make a sound. He looked to be cultivating the Yin Iron, though she couldn't really tell. He was doing this weird arm movement thing. She saw weird sparks go into strange creatures and saw them 'wake' up and move to their feet. Puppets. They were puppets from what she remembered. There were so many. Practically surrounding Wen Rouhan in a circle. Mai feared for her life. Did he know she was there? Of course he did. Otherwise she wouldn't be there. What was he going to do with her? 

She sat up quickly, sweat pouring down her forehead. She looked around. She was still in the Unclean Realm. It was just a dream, though deep down she felt like it wasn't. The dream kept replaying in her head. It unnerved her. Just what did that mean? 

Time Skip 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺 

Mai got up and exited her room. She needed to clear her mind. As she walked she noticed Jiang Cheng running towards Yanli. She decided to go closer to them to find out why he was running. She hears a bit of the conversation. 

"...have you seen Wei Wuxian?" Jiang Cheng asks in a worried tone. 

"No. What's wrong? Isn't he in his room?" Yanli responds 

Mai watched as Jiang Cheng shook his head and then speak once more. 

"Zewu Jun arrived today. Everyone is required to attend the meeting by Red Blade Master. Now almost everyone is present, but him. Such Wei Wuxian... Started his show the second he returned." 

"There, there. You are a clan leader now. Don't act so flustered. Now, you just attend the meeting. I'll take some people to find him. He just got back after all. Don't push it too hard on him. Maybe he just went out for a walk." Yanli spoke 

"At such moment, no time is left for him to go for a walk. Here is not home. Isn't he embarrassing himself? You're spoiling him again, sister." Jiang Cheng answered 

"Alright, just go to the meeting. Go now. I'll go find him." Yanli said pushing him back the way he came 

Mai watched as Jiang Cheng left. She looked back at Yanli as she turned her head, worry was evident on her face. She decided to follow Yanli as she searched for Wei Wuxian. After following her for a while she noticed Wei Wuxian. 

"Xian. Xian, what's the matter?" Yanli asked 

"Nothing. Shejie, why are you here?" Wei Wuxian responded 

"On Zewu Jun's arrival, Red Blade Master is calling everybody to a meeting. Cheng was looking for you everywhere. Xian. What... What happened just now?" Yanli informed 

"It was... It was the strong wind. It broke several branches." Wei Wuxian replied 

"Really? Since it's nothing, let's go back now." Yanli said, doubt lacing her words 

She hid as she watched Yanli turn around and start walking back. Though she stopped shortly after she noticed Wei Wuxian not following her. 

"Xian, what is it?" Yanli asked as she turned back around 

"I'm fine. Let's go, shejie." Wei Wuxian answered 

Mai concealed herself more behind the rock as the both started walking back. Wei Wuxian stopping briefly to look to the left before continuing on. What was he looking at? Once they were far enough ahead, Mai proceeded to follow them back. Once they had made it back, she walked back to her room. She could've sworn she heard a flute earlier. Wei Wuxian had said otherwise, so either her was lying or her mind was playing tricks on her, which wasn't so likely, but who really knows. 

She sat in the room for what felt like years contemplating what actually happened, until she remembered something. From what she was remembering, he should have been watching the Wen Clan prisoners being given harsh treatment as they were being brought to the camp. She couldn't remember what else but she knew that he was playing the flute. So he was lying. She understood why but at the same time she didn't. Mai sighed. Today has been a long day. 

_________________________ 

Hey look! Its a new chapter after so long! 

A little shorter chapter than usual. I'm about to start editing the other chapters since I have some time off. I've finally been able to work on this chapter for y'all. Imma try my best to get more chapters out as soon as I can but no promises as life brings unexpected things. Sorry if the writing is all over the place, I can't really tell right now. That's all from me. Have a wonderful day/night! 

Hasta La Vista