XXXI. We'll Be Alright. . .

★ thirty - one ,
we'll be alright.

SYDNEY   
     august 2023

*ੈ✩‧₊˚             THERE WAS one final game.

technically there was two. but only one in which the matildas would play. and that was the match for third place against sweden. yet there was one final game for the matildas in the 2023 FIFA women's world cup.

the matildas had done something the australian women's football team never had before. they had created history and sparked up an entire nation. from a stadium that once held nearly four hundred people, there were over fifty thousand people watching the two teams battle for third place.

odessa sat in her seat, chewing on her nails "i don't understand why the swedish are yellow— and why are we teal? it's disgusting and hurting my eyes."

beside her, helen hummed "they should definitely be more blue than yellow. and we should at least be green if we aren't going to do the usual yellow colour."

a soft giggle came from the side of the two "aunty dessy!" kora shouted loudly. her yellow dress twirling when she jumped up onto the netballers lap.

"koraline!" levi sighed, shaking his head "i'm sure odessa doesn't love you that much to want to spend another game with you."

kora looked back at her father before looking at odessa "you love me" she sent her a cheesy smile.

odessa laughed, poking at koras sides. kora giggled. "don't tell anyone.   .   . but" odessa cupped her hands around koras ears, whispering fluttering words into the five year olds ear.

kora gasped. she looked around her, seeing sam and kyra slowly walk over. the game wasn't close to starting, it would begin in an hour, the stadium were starting to fill up. and the team had warmed up, about to say their final goodbye before entering the locker rooms. "aunty sam! aunty sam! guess what aunty dessy said!"

"kora!" odessa exclaimed, throwing her arms in the air "don't you dare tell her!"

sams eyes flickered between her girlfriend and niece "koraline. what did aunty dessy say?"

kora had a cheeky look covering her feautures. she giggled loudly again. "aunty dessy said she loves me more than she loves you."

"she what?" sams eyes widened playfully. "well you better tell aunty dessy that she better take that back"

kora turned to the girl she was sitting on the lap of "aunty sam said you better take that back." she scrunched up her face "whatever that means."

"why did you tell her" odessa cried out with a playful tone. "it was our little secret"

"oh? so you weren't even gonna tell me?" sam crossed her arms. she stood on the other side of the barrier. kyra and helen watching the interaction with smiles. "you're choosing my niece over me? the person who got you front row taylor swift tickets?"

"but.   .   . it's kora" odessa excused "she's my little princess. my daughter."

sam scoffed "i got you a dog so you didn't have to steal other people's kids. and you still do."