Chapter 21: A Lunchtime Conversation

Kaiya sat in a cozy corner booth of a bustling restaurant, surrounded by her closest friends. The midday sunlight streamed through the large windows, casting warm rays onto their table. Jae, with her trendy pixie cut, sat across from Kaiya, while Imani and Naveah, her college roommates, were on either side.

The chatter at the table was lively, bouncing from one topic to another.

"So, did you guys catch the Bulls game last night?" Naveah asked, her eyes lighting up with excitement.

"Yeah, Cardi B singing the national anthem was a surprise," Jae added, taking a sip of her iced tea.

Kaiya nodded, smiling at their enthusiasm for basketball. "Yeah, she nailed it. She's got such an incredible voice."

Naveah leaned in, her eyes gleaming. "Speaking of social media, Kaiya, I saw your Instagram post with Jake when you guys were out boating. You two looked so cute!"

Kaiya blushed, her smile growing. "Thanks, Naveah. We had a great time out on the lake."

Imani, who had been scrolling through her phone, looked up and chimed in with a mischievous grin. "You know, Kaiya, some people would call you a 'bad black person' for dating a white guy."

Kaiya's fork froze midway to her mouth. She blinked in surprise, feeling a rush of anger and frustration. "What? Imani, that's ridiculous."

Imani shrugged, her tone indifferent. "I mean, some people have strong opinions about interracial relationships. They say it's like betraying your own race."

Kaiya's anger flared, her voice rising as she responded, "That's a load of nonsense, Imani. Who I choose to date doesn't define my blackness. I support black causes, I have a black father, and I know where I come from. I support the Black Lives Matter movement, for crying out loud!"

Jae chimed in, her tone supportive. "Kaiya's right. Love is love, and it knows no boundaries. Who you choose to date doesn't invalidate your identity or your commitment to your community."

Naveah nodded in agreement, her voice gentle. "Exactly, Imani. It's unfair to judge someone's blackness based on who they love."

Imani folded her arms defensively, her tone dismissive. "Well, maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I think there are certain things a 'bad black person' wouldn't do."

Kaiya's frustration boiled over, and her voice trembled with anger. "Imani, that's incredibly narrow-minded. Blackness is not defined by a checklist of what you can and cannot do. It's about pride in our culture, history, and the fight for equality. Love should never be used against someone to question their identity."

Jae leaned forward, her voice firm. "We should be celebrating love and unity, not casting judgment on who someone chooses to be with. We've come a long way in breaking down these stereotypes, and we should continue to support each other."

Imani sighed, realizing the depth of Kaiya's feelings on the matter. "Okay, Kaiya, I see your point. I didn't mean to upset you."

Kaiya took a deep breath, her anger gradually subsiding. "It's just frustrating, Imani. We should be uplifting each other, not tearing each other down."

Their conversation shifted to lighter topics, but the tension from the previous discussion still lingered. Kaiya knew that these conversations about race and identity could be challenging, but she also believed they were essential to breaking down stereotypes and promoting understanding among friends and communities.

The conversation at the table took a somber turn as Naveah brought up a recent news story, about a 17 year old black boy that was shot by a police officer, that had shaken them all.

"I can't believe that something like that would've happened," Naveah said, her voice heavy with sadness. "This would've never happened if it was a white teenager."

Imani, always quick to share her perspective, leaned in, her tone firm. "That's something that a white person would never understand. And that's why it's dangerous to date one."

Naveah let out an exasperated sigh. "Are you still on the 'being a bad black person' thing?"

Jae, who had remained relatively quiet during the discussion, spoke up, her tone measured. "Hey! My stepmom is black, and my father is Korean. Yet my dad is probably more 'woke' than you are. He's been to countless Black Lives Matter protests, he's educated himself about systemic racism, and he's even volunteered at community organizations that support underserved communities. Things just aren't black and white."

Imani rolled her eyes, a hint of irritation in her voice. "Wow, is it 'shit on Imani' day?"

Kaiya had been growing increasingly uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation, and the tension at the table was palpable. She couldn't take it any longer and finally excused herself. "I need to step away for a moment, guys. I can't deal with this anymore."

As Kaiya walked away from the table, she felt a mixture of frustration and sadness. These conversations about race were important, but they also highlighted the deep divisions and misunderstandings that still existed among her friends.