Independence's Cuthbert excited to get on the court

By JOE ALBRIGHT

josephpalbright3

INDEPENDENCE – Wrestling, football, and softball currently hold Independence High fans in a victorious frenzy.

Girls' basketball coach Mark Cuthbert believes it is the right time for the party to grow by one.

Following a season where the Patriots lost to PikeView in a Class AAA sectional final by six points, Cuthbert is looking for his team to take a big step forward. "Summer turnout was really good, it is the biggest I have had in my four years," he said. "There's a lot of excitement."

And, the enthusiasm isn't centering around sophomore sensation Harmony Mills. The feeling running through the roster is supplying Cuthbert with big props to several girls. "The middle school won the last two county championships so we will get them as reinforcements," he said.

He did acknowledge however that this group does start with the play of Mills. He spoke highly of his sophomore after a freshman season where she averaged 20 points and 5 rebounds, all while missing two games.

"She's extremely unselfish and sometimes we make her shoot the ball and take shots when she needs to. She is a kid you like to coach and be around," he said. "She's the ultimate competitor and can't stand to lose."

Her team and she also finally have the big-game experience under their belts. They know what it is like to be in a tight high school game and that will help, as well.

Cuthbert says he sees this attitude in all his girls.

He can't wait for Lily Jackson to get back on the court. She started playing some of her best basketball of the season late last year, according to him. He says Ali Heights gives their team a great defender that can handle a lot. He complimented Cameron Wooten, Bella Green, and Haley Ratliff with their readiness to step in wherever needed come game time. Freshman Lacey Goodson puts another dynamic guard on the floor, according to her head coach.

"We expect big things out of all of them. They may not show on the scorebook, but they know when to step in and help Harmony out this year," he said.

They certainly better show up on the court, if the Patriots hope to advance to the regional final and beyond.

Cuthbert has made it clear to his girls: There's no easy way to Charleston. In fact, the path may go through roads of two state tournament qualifiers from a season ago: Sissonville and Lewis County. Both teams are strong. Lewis County received several beneficial transfers in the off-season. Sissonville returns several big pieces from last year's state semifinal group.

Yet, Cuthbert feels it is best if the girls focus on themselves.

"As long as we compete and continue to get better night in and night out, the sky is the limit for us," he said.