Midnight Reflections

Rosalyn Isabella Noelle Aurora.

It was a name as grand as her royal lineage, and yet she preferred the simplicity of Rina, a moniker that held an endearing charm when used by her father – Urtemis, king of Sylphrena – and closest confidants in the privacy of their chambers.

Short and sweet, Rina mused about her name as she gazed at the gown suspended before her. It was the attire designated for the impending ball, a ball that marked a momentous occasion—her fifteenth birthday, a day of great significance. It wasn't merely another year added to her age; it was the threshold from which she would gain answers to the questions that had perplexed her for as long as she could remember.

Rina reached for the dress, acknowledging that the hour of her public appearance was drawing near. Under normal circumstances, she would be encircled by personal maids and attendants, their meticulous care akin to polishing a gem before it graced the world's gaze. 

However, she had asserted her desire to prepare alone, seeking these last solitary moments for herself. Her attendants complied, not wishing to mar the princess's birthday, but they couldn't resist assisting with her hair and countenance.

With the dress in hand, Rina made her way to the grand mirror. The mirrored wall reflected her silver hair, carefully braided down her back, its lustrous strands curving and resting upon her right shoulder. In the chandelier's radiant glow, her hair seemed to have captured threads of moonlight, woven into an exquisite crown. Even her eyebrows shimmered, arching gracefully above her eyes, providing contrast to their deep, obsidian depths—darker than the night before the first rays of dawn and deeper than endless tunnels boring through mountains.

Her cheeks bore no youthful plumpness, instead defined by prominent cheekbones, resembling finely sculpted bridges on porcelain terrain.

Rina puckered her rosy lips, grappling with her thoughts.

Who am I dressing up for? There will be no betrothal announcements tonight... Hopefully.

She longed for the simplicity of celebrating her birthday alone with her father, as she had for the past fourteen years. But the age of fifteen held significance; it was a moment when children presented themselves to the world, shedding the protective cocoon of parental shelter. At seventeen, they would officially reach adulthood. Rina comprehended the meaning and gravity behind this grand ball, yet... she still hated it.

A sigh escaped her lips, a tangible display of her inner conflict. In the end, she resigned herself to the dress. There was no point in delaying any further.

Made of the finest silk to be found across all three kingdoms, her gown was truly one of a kind. Specially tailored for this one occasion, destined to be worn once and then consigned to flames.

They had even given her dress a name, "Midnight Elegance," for it transcended being a mere piece of clothing; it was an artifact, a creation of magic. Though it wielded the most delicate form of magic, it possessed uniqueness and a special enchantment.

The fitted bodice of "Midnight Elegance" embraced her slender figure with a graceful charm. Its off-the-shoulder design lent a touch of allure while maintaining the regal sophistication befitting a princess.

Like the midnight sky itself, it bore a rich, dark hue—a striking contrast to her silver hair. Subtle silver embroidery adorned the gown, mirroring the twinkle of distant stars, and layers of dark blue tulle flowed with a dreamlike grace, creating an enchanting effect as the princess swayed.

"This is too beautiful..." Rina's lips formed silent words.

At that moment, her irritation with the ball dissipated. The ballgown, a product of dreams, momentarily captivated her. Its beauty was simply undeniable.