2

Beneath a nondescript house nestled against the hill of San Pietro was hidden a labyrinth of secret passages. Some led to nowhere and ended in front of a massive stone wall. Others were so intricate and twisted that even the most resourceful intruder was soon lost and discouraged. At the end of this maze, as if in the midst of a great spider's web, lay Cardinal Giuseppe Marsali's secret chamber. The walls of the chamber were covered with sumptuous carpets, and only two small, arrow slit-like windows high up in the wall let in a little light. The floor was covered with thick woollen rugs, and in one corner cushions, pillows, and blankets were spread out to make a comfortable place to sleep.
The dark one liked the room. No sound disturbed the silence. Even the door was so cleverly hidden behind hangings that it was difficult to get in and even more confusing for the unwary to get out. The chamber was lit by a row of fine beeswax candles. In the centre was a square oak table, with a high-backed chair behind it. Cardinal Marsali sat there, drumming his fingers gently on the tabletop. Across from him, the dark one lounged in his seat, hands folded in front of his chest, feet resting casually on the edge of the table.

"Orlando, Orlando," Marsali chided mildly. "When will you realize that your rude behaviour does not impress me in the least?"
"That's just the way I am," Orlando returned mockingly.

The Cardinal rose, strolled around the table and stepped behind Orlando's chair. He put his hands on his shoulders and inclined his mouth to the young man's ear. "I could send you packing, you little rat. I wonder what would become of you then?"
Orlando laughed softly. "Threats, your Eminence? I'm impressed. I thought you knew my value to you."
Marsali's right hand slipped from his shoulder and closed loosely around his throat.
"What value do you have, my dear?" he asked with a dangerous undertone. The grip tightened. "Come on, jog my memory."
Orlando blinked. Every breath was a struggle, but he couldn't tell if it was because of Marsalis' hand pressing on his throat or because he was breathing in the delicious scent of his heated body with every gasp. The strange fluttering that spread through his stomach made him a little uneasy because he had no idea what it meant.
Was it good? Was it bad? What the hell was it?
"Haven't I successfully completed every one of your missions?" he brought out with difficulty. "No suspicion has ever fallen on you."
Marsali's grip on his throat loosened, but he made no move to release it. "The woman has been found," he said.
"Everything will proceed as you have ordered, Eminence. You can trust me."
Marsali withdrew his hand and stroked Orlando's cheek with a feather-light touch. "Maybe I really can."
He circled Orlando's chair, wiped the young man's feet off the table, and took a seat on the edge himself. "I have a new assignment for you. Listen."
He leaned forward and began to speak softly.
Orlando listened intently, and as Marsali described his plan, a grin appeared on his face. The sweet words and phrases that came from Marsali's lips filled his heart with greedy anticipation of the task ahead.