Chapter 5

That night, Axolotl couldn't sleep. She tried and tried, but nothing worked. This is hopeless she thought. She got out of her bed and took a walk down the hall. As she was walking, Axolotl heard voices. "Let me go, you stupid slime brains!" one voice hissed. "We aren't going to until you tell us how to defeat your tribe," another voice said coldly. "Uh, why would I do that?" the first voice asked. "Only a moron would tell you that. And I'm no moron." "Ugh," a third voice groaned, "We do not have time for this! The queen wants to find out how to conquer you!" At the mention of her mother, Axolotl peeked around the corner and saw something horrible. Two CaveWings were holding spears up to a dragon in chains. But this dragon wasn't a CaveWing. She was clearly an above dweller, and she happened to be like the one Qibli descrbied. She had black and purple scales and silver ones next to her eyes. Without thinking, Axolotl grabbed two rocks and threw them at the guards. They fell unconscious, leaving the above dweller in shock. Axolotl turned the corner and started to untie the chains. "Wow!" exclaimed the above dweller, "This better not be a trick or I'm going to crush someone." "I promise it's not," Axolotl reassured her. "I'm Axolotl, what's your name?" "I'm Dreamwatcher," the above dweller said. "I should probably get going. And you should hide. I can hear guards coming." "I don't hear"— Axolotl began, but then Dreamwatcher pulled her behind a group of stalagmites. Four armored guards came into the cavern. They saw the two other guards lying unconscious and picked them up to take them away. As soon as the guards were gone, Axolotl whispered to Dreamwatcher, "How did you know they were coming?" Dreamwatcher hesitated and said, "It's a secret. I have to go before they catch me. Thanks for rescuing me." "No problem," said Axolotl. "Can you navigate your way through the caves?" "Yes," Dreamwatcher responded. The black and purple dragon flew away, leaving Axolotl with a LOT of questions. But there was one thing that bothered her. The queen wants to find out how to conquer you! the guard had told Dreamwatcher. If that was true, then Axolotl's mother was definitely keeping a secret.