Chapter Two

I HAD been tossing and turning all night because of the storm to the point I slept in till 11

     I HAD been tossing and turning all night because of the storm to the point I slept in till 11. That meant I was definitely in trouble with Rafe. We were supposed to show up at the docks together, to clean and keep up our image of being an amazing and happy couple.

Rushing to throw on athletic shorts and a tank top, I rush my routine and braid my hair before grabbing a bandana to throw around my head like a headband before running out the door. I take two steps at a time before bursting through the front door, ignoring the people that were outside cleaning up.

"Honey, you're late!" Rafe yelled out as he saw me. My family was standing next to his own and I winced at the look on my boyfriend's face before throwing on my usual facade I used with him in public.

"Sorry, I couldn't sleep last night because of Agatha!" I apologized as I power walked towards everyone.

Rafe pulled me in for a bone crushing hug. "You really are pushing my patience," he warned in my ear. I closed my eyes in fear but kept my smile wide as I turned and planted a soft kiss on his cheek.

We pull away and get to helping clean up everything we can. Soon, my attention is pulled away when a woman named Lana, reports her husband missing. I close my eyes in respect, hoping that he's found alive and safe.

"Hey, are we still going to dinner tonight?" Rafe asked beside me. Since a few people were near, I couldn't turn him down. I hum in agreement before continuing to pick up the debris and trash that I can before helping people check their boats for damages.

It's later on in the day, around 3 p.m. when Scooter's body, the missing husband of Lana, was found. My heart aches for her as she runs over, instantly identifying him as the paramedics gave her a moment before they wheel him to the ambulance.

My eyes glanced around, making eye contact with John B where he and his friends were sitting around. I noticed the panicked looks on his and his friends' face as Scooter's body wheeled past them.

I rolled my eyes at them before being pulled away by Rafe wrapping his arms around my shoulders. "Come on, let's get cleaned up and go eat," he sweetly ordered.

I nod my head, absently leaning into him as we make our way to his car. We head to his house where I reapply hygiene, fix my hair, change into some jean shorts and a bandeau style top to make myself more presentable before exiting the house.

He slowly drives to his favorite restaurant as I look at all the damage that was caused by the storm.

"How long do you think this clean up will last?" I ask, picking at my chipped polish.

"Who cares? I won't be cleaning up much of it. They can hire Pogues for all I care," he said monotone. I nod my head at his words, knowing I shouldn't have expected anything less.

"Ya know," he starts. "I'm gonna have to propose soon, so we need to plan it out to be the best it can if we decide to do it in public."

"I know," I mumble, playing with a frayed string. "What about midsummers? Everyone will be there and we can go all out so it's really believable?" I think out loud before turning to him.