Chapter Five

WATCHING over Pope's shoulder, my frown deepens as we finish the third pass through the ship

"It's not there." John B shakes his head in defeat. "Look, just... just pull the drone up."

I take my respective position near JJ who looks fed up with it all as he tries to keep the boat in position.

"Look, we can do another pass. Recharge the battery. We can..." Pope trails off, still somehow having hope for the gold. "We can go back down."

"We've done it three times. There's nothing there!" JJ exasperates. I watch John B tussle his hair in annoyance as the other three continue to argue.

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" I say, shutting Pope down. "Somebody beat us to it," I sigh sadly.

"Or it was never there," JJ finishes the argument, sending the boat in the direction back home.

Walking over to John B, I watch in concern as he sits on the bench, drawing his hood over his head before resting his arms on his bent legs.

Softly placing myself next to him, worry my bottom lip as I watch his mouth pull into a frown as his thoughts wander. My eyes flit over each feature on his face; his freckles that were prominent from the sun, his wind chapped lips and his sad hazel orbs. I had never really noticed how beautiful he was until then and as his eyes catch mine, I look away in embarrassment at being caught.

After being dropped off, I decided to give Sarah a call, knowing she deserved answers for everything that had been happening lately. Walking into town, I waited near a surf shop she was heading to, teeth chewing down on my fingernails as I grew anxious.

Seeing her walking out of a nearby store, I grab her arm, pulling her to a more private area before slinging my bag off my back so I could show her and get it done and over with. She was the only one I could trust with this information, being she was the closest friend in my life.

"What the hell, Rory?" She stuttered in her steps, trying to keep up before I pulled us to a stop behind a shop. "Not even a hi, or hello or-" I cut her off, shoving the test into her eyesight.

"Wha-" she freezes before her gaze slides to mine in surprise. "Rafe's?" I nod, tears pooling in my eyes. "How far?"

I shrug as I shove the test into a nearby trash can, wanting it to be gone and out of sight. "I... I haven't decided," I say honestly.

"Hey." Her arms wrap around me and that's when I let the tears fall. "It's okay. I'm by your side no matter what, Rory. Ya hear me?" She squeezes me tighter. "Come on, let's get you something to drink." She wipes my tears away before pulling me towards a small family-owned shop known for lemon shake ups.

After chugging a fourth of the drink, we sit at a table and I explain the conversations I've had with my father. Everything that's been going on with Rafe and my newly discovered crush on John B.