FOUR

Water was home for Sophia

Water was home for Sophia. She had grown up swimming and splashing about, only it had gotten more serious as she grew older. Her parents always knew she had a gift for swimming, anyone would say so after seeing her gracefully glide through the water. But with Renee only having time for Bella, and Sophia only seeing her dad once or twice a year, she was never allowed to join a team and not one of her parents pushed her to develop her skills.

Getting scouted by the German Swim Team was an accident. After all, Sophia did live in the USA, so it was always a shock when she told people she didn't swim for their team. In terms of ranking, the German Swim Team was second best in the world, only coming in slightly behind Russia. The USA was third. Sophia had merely been on a school trip to a swimming centre, as their art project that term was to draw different forms of sport, and her teacher was always eccentric and trying to involve her students in a more hands on way.

All it had taken was a bet. One of her classmates had bet her $10 that she wouldn't jump in the pool and swim two lengths with all her clothes on. Sophia was $10 richer in a matter of minutes. It turned out that the German Swim Team was over in America to talk about upcoming competitions and training. The pool in Arizona was one of the most renowned and they had been visiting it for a bit of historical context during their stay. Sophia had received a letter to their boarding school within a week.

Her mother and Bella hadn't wanted her to go. Bella had cried and screamed about how it wasn't fair that Sophia could go abroad and live there but Bella couldn't. It had ended with Sophia crying to Jake about it as she only wanted her older sister to be happy for her, and Charlie put his foot down. Both Bella and Jake came to see her off, and Jake was immediately enamoured with her, or he seemed to be. It was bittersweet.

The oven door opened with a ping. Sophia snapped herself out of her daydream and took the cookies out of the oven. They were perfect. But then again, Sophia didn't expect anything less. She let them cool on the side as she tapped her leg three times to calm down. They were flawless, it was all okay. Nothing bad would happen.

Charlie was at work, and Bella had left about half an hour earlier, muttering about Jake and legends. The house was still and quiet, and Sophia swayed around humming a Conan Gray song as she pulled on her coat and shoes, lost in her own world. It was something she often did, and Daniel had complained about it enough times when they were both supposed to be focusing on new techniques. She got distracted easily but in her mind it wasn't a flaw. It was a benefit. It allowed her to swim long distance races and be the fastest in the world because she would get distracted whilst swimming and managed to maintain her speed. It's also why Daniel was a sprinter, because he was so focused and he exploded off the blocks due to his concentration.

Since Bella had taken the orange, rusty truck, Sophia had to pull out her bike from the garage. Charlie had bought it for her and Jake had fixed it up, being the excellent mechanic that he was. Even after not using for a few years, it still ran smoothly as she cycled down to La Push. She loved the small reservation, with it's high cliffs and rocky waters. The air in La Push felt different to Forks, even though it was only a 30 minute ride away.