Of Ephemeral Light and Perpetual Darkness

You stand at the edge of the Duskgloom Sea. Where clear blue skies turn to hazardous storms, filled with nothing but torrential rain and relentless waves guaranteed to turn any sailor to crumbs on the ocean floor.

And you hear the tale. A mermaid's tale, in fact, of a pearl corrupted and a heart betrayed.

But you feel like something is wrong with the story. Like there was something missing in-between the lines of White Pearl's sudden descent. The loss of a supposed 'lover' known for mere weeks, and the loss of a friend who promised to return...

Even when Peppermint Cookie gladly waves goodbye, the whale slowly disappearing into the cobalt ocean bordering the murky waters, you don't understand how the tear was corrupted. How the stubbornness of a mermaid caused her to pass the point of no return, to the point where her sisters wouldn't even say goodbye to White Pearl Cookie.

"My, my...did you think that the Sea would truly know the mermaid's tale?"

You panic, hearing another voice on your small dinghy. Peppermint Cookie is long gone, and you don't see any merchant ships nearby, nor any rafts. To add salt to the wound, the voice resembles that of darkness's most loyal servant, infamous for her visions — and her torture.

"Please, look around."

Pomegranate Cookie stands on the tip of your boat, a mirror in hand and a polite smile on her lips, somehow not disrupting the balance of your wooden sailing boat. You panic further with the knowledge that a Cookie of Darkness has paid you an unplanned visit, kindly reminded of Dark Enchantress's wrath.

"Do not fear. I merely want to tell you the full story. After all, Sea Fairy was frozen in her beloved tower when those events transpired...the descent into darkness is often for a reason greater than the self."

"Did you do this?!" You manage to spit, grabbing an oar in fear and holding it up towards the former priestess, "Did you play a part in crowning the sovereign of the Duskgloom Sea?"

With the mention of the waters, the waves begin to amplify, your boat rocking turbulently as if to welcome you to the other side. Yet, Pomegranate Cookie continues to stand, even as water splashes onto her bright red robes.

"Darkness comes in many forms." Pomegranate Cookie holds up the mirror as it shines with an ominous glow. "I will tell you the real story of what happened to Duskgloom's Sovereign."

The day of the Sea Foam Rite dawned upon Tearcrown as the mermaids began their preparations. Soldiers of the kingdom gathered the merfolk together to witness such a historical event, whilst the other Gem Mermaids flocked to their soon-to-be addition, offering support in the best ways they could.

Amongst those who were preparing was Frilled Jellyfish Cookie. Not quite a Gem Mermaid herself yet an adored citizen of Tearcrown nonetheless, she ran to and fro from the mermaids' quarters to the chamber that held the Sea Fairy Tear, informing the leader of the kingdom whilst preparing her lady for the rite of passing.

"White Pearl Cookie! My little pearl! Finally, it's your turn!"

Crimson Coral Cookie stood proudly as the leader of Tearcrown, ready to officially welcome her youngest sibling to the Gem Mermaids. White Pearl Cookie, shining like a full moon, entered the chamber with a bright smile. White Pearl could see the pride in her sister's eyes, despite her maintaining the regal demeanour expected of a commander.

The processions went smoothly. White Pearl Cookie touched the Sea Fairy Tear, cheered on by the citizens of Tearcrown, and mumbled the words expected of any offering to the Almighty Sea: