Chapter 31

"Annu, Aap Zain ke sath office chali jayengi? Zaroori meeting hai." Zabail called Anabia and asked her.

(Annu, can you go to office with Zain? There is an important meeting.)

"Hum? Humne toh abhi office join kiya, hume toh kuch nahi ata..." Anabia gets nervous and started saying.

(Me? I just joined office, I don't know anything...)

"Don't worry, Zain will handle everything, it's just, humare yaha se bhi koi na koi present hona chahiye na."

(Someone should be there to present us.)

"Aap kyu nahi attend kar rahi? Apko zyada maloom hai."

(Why don't you go then? You know more about it.)

"Zaniya fuppi arahi, aur unke sath Zain ki Fuppi bhi arahi hain, aap janti hain woh kaisi hain. Mamma ne saaf mana kar diya hume jane se." Zabail explains.

(Zaniya fuppi is coming, so is Zain's aunt, you know how she is. That's why Mamma forbids me to go out.)

Anabia nods her head in understanding manner. But still, she was nervous about the meeting. "Zain bhai lead karenge na?"

(Will Zain bhai lead the meeting.)

"Haan, apko bas waha present hona hai."

(Yes, you just have to be present there.)

This relax Anabia, she agrees to go to office with Zain.

•••

Mehrab stood at the doorstep of Anabia's house. He had come here to make amends, to apologize for the words his father had spoken that had caused Zimraan's heart attack. As the door slowly creaked open, Mehrab's breath hitched. When he decided to come here, he didn't thought of the possibility of running into Zabail Ahmed.

Mehrab found himself momentarily lost in her mesmerizing gaze, his heart skipping a beat.

Zabail looked at Mehrab with a hint of curiosity, her eyes scanning his face.

"Ji? Aap kon?" When Mehrab didn't say anything, she asked.

(Yes? Who are you?)

"Main... woh main... main..." Standing before her, he struggled to find his voice. "Main Anabia se milne aya tha..."

(I... I... I...)

(I'm here to meet Anabia...)

"Aap Annu ke dost hain?" Zabail nodded, still studying Mehrab with a quizzical expression.

(Are you her friend?)

All Mehrab could do was nod, as he fixes the collar of his shirt.

"Please, andar ajaiye," Zabail invites him, and he followed after her. "Anabia toh office gayi hain, lekin ati hi hongi."

(Please, come in,)
(Anabia is at office, but she must be coming.)

Mehrab continued to gaze at Zabail, utterly captivated by her presence. He was so entranced by her soft voice and graceful demeanor that he had forgotten the purpose of his visit. He didn't even focus on her words.

Zabail noticed his distraction and decided to call her mother. "Hum abhi atey hain." Awkwardly, she left him in the living room.

(I'll just come.)

As Mehrab sat in the living room, still somewhat dazed by the encounter with Zabail, he hears a familiar voice calling for Zabail.

"Zubi api, apne jo kaha tha main le ayi hoon, aur mummy ne uncle ke liye soup..." Hoorain was talking without noticing his presence there, but when her eyes fall on him, she froze in her track.