𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙾𝚗𝚎

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The day had arrived, and the letter was in my mother's hands had been delivered.

The dagger was aimed true, leaving my palm and sailing through the air and splintering the target. If it were a human, the blade would've been right between the eyes, yet I couldn't bring myself to picture a real human, I wasn't a killer. And that letter that I know my mother is holding behind me with my older brother and sister decides that fate for me. Twice, our family has been skipped over, Trinity and Finn had missed the draft, which I knew hurt my father, he valued legacy, and as of now he has two children who are too smart for their own good, and the legacy of his name rests on me. His youngest daughter.

"Rule number one Nyxia," My father's voice was loud in my head, the family bond making it easy for him to converse, "Never take your eyes off the enemy."

I whirled as a dagger shot past my head, watching the wood of the tree behind me crack, dust falling to my feet as I yanked the blade from the old Oak in the backyard. When Trinity was passed over two years ago, my father dedicated all of his time to training me. When I arrived at Shadowscar Military College, if I arrived, which I was still desperately hoping I wasn't going to be attending, he wanted me to have the ability to survive. I had spent hours studying the handbook, learning every rule for every quadrant. If we passed the obstacle course that led us over the wall to the college, there were no gates until the magic wore off and the families were gone. They would review our tactics and from there divide us into four different quadrants. Aerial, Sea, Ground, and Intelligence.

I was praying to the gods above I was selected for Intelligence.

"Can you tell me if I'm sentenced to death?" I wiped the dagger against the leathers I was wearing, sheathing the dagger on my hip. "Please."

I could tell by the look on my mother's face, and the way that Finn rushed down the stairs of our cottage, wrapping me in his arms so tightly I feared my ribs my break. I knew I was selected. "Kent," My mother's voice was shaky as she looked at the Evergreen tree, my father dropping down with skilled footwork, he was in the Ground quadrant when he attended Shadowscar at eighteen, became a highly decorated general until his entire unit got caught in between an aerial battle, dragons crushing humans as they fell out of the sky. "Would you like to be the one to read the letter?"

Finn lifted me, my legs dangling in front of him as he breathed me in. It felt like they were saying goodbye, and I didn't even know when I was leaving, or what was happening. I looked over Finn's shoulder when the back screen door slammed shut, Trinity's feet beating down the two stairs and across the yard, jumping on Finn and me, sending us to the grass, or what was left of it. Father was showing me his fire-wielding power, we nearly burned the cottage down a week ago. "We can hide you, you don't have to do this we can-"

"It's illegal not to appear if you're selected," I took her hand when I stood back up, "Father's trained me for two years, I stand the best chance out of the three of us."

"Nyxia," the general sound of my father's voice had my back snapping to attention, We were no longer father and daughter, that relationship fizzled two years ago. I became his prodigy, and he showed me off to his friends like a show pony who won first place at the fair, "Stand at attention in front of me."

"Dad," Trinity sighed, cowering back when my father shot her a poisonous glare, "General Starweaver," That was our legacy, or what my father hoped mine would be. Fire-wielding was a minor magic he picked up, he could use starlight to attack, therefore our surname became his power, typical war bullshit honestly. "She's possibly going to die, can't you show compassion."