Chapter 10: Whispers of Fate

The morning sun peeked through the clouds, casting a golden hue upon the Imperial City. The streets were abuzz with preparations for the annual Spring Lantern Festival. Paper lanterns of all colors and sizes hung from every possible edge, swaying gently in the morning breeze.

Yi Su, accompanied by a few handmaids, walked through the bustling marketplace. She was dressed modestly, her face partly concealed by a delicate silk veil, which did little to hide her striking beauty. She was there to purchase silk and trinkets for the festival. As she walked, her thoughts were on Tian Sheng. Their secret rendezvous, the stolen moments, the undeniable connection they shared; every memory tugged at her heart.

However, this festival was unlike any other. Rumors had been circulating about the Duke's intention to announce his wedding date with Yi Su during the grand gala. The news unsettled Yi Su, a constant reminder of the cage that awaited her.

Amidst the chatter and bartering, a soft melody reached her ears. She turned to see a blind musician playing a guqin, a traditional stringed instrument. The music seemed to narrate a story of two star-crossed lovers, their hearts entwined yet bound by fate's cruel design. As the melody played, tears welled up in her eyes. It was as if the musician knew their story and was recounting it through his strings.

Suddenly, she felt a gentle tug at her sleeve. It was a young girl, no older than ten, with striking hazel eyes that seemed wise beyond her years. In her hand, she held two intricately carved jade pendants - the design was of two lovebirds, their beaks touching, forming a heart in between.

"These are for you," the girl whispered, her voice barely audible amidst the noise.

Confused, Yi Su asked, "Why, child? I don't know you."

The girl leaned in closer, her eyes intense. "Destiny's threads are intertwined, and lovebirds are a symbol of undying love. Keep one, and give the other to the one who holds your heart. But remember, lovebirds are fated to be together. Separation brings despair."

Yi Su's heart raced. She thought of Tian Sheng and their shared pendant. Handing the girl a silver coin, she took the pendants. The child disappeared into the crowd as swiftly as she had appeared.

Later that evening, Tian Sheng received a message from Yi Su, asking him to meet her at their usual spot by the river. As he approached, he found her standing there, the moonlight illuminating her silhouette. She turned, her eyes searching his, and handed him one of the jade pendants.

"Our love, Tian Sheng, is like these lovebirds, destined yet fraught with challenges," she whispered.

Tian Sheng took the pendant, holding it close to his heart. "We will face them together," he assured her.

The night was filled with promises, dreams, and a shared future. But as dawn approached, they knew the path ahead was treacherous.

Unknown to them, hidden in the shadows, a figure had witnessed their exchange - the Duke's niece, Xia Ling. Her expression was inscrutable, but her eyes held a storm of emotions. She clutched the note she had intercepted earlier - Yi Su's message to Tian Sheng.

The wheels of fate had begun to turn, and the next chapter of their story was about to unfold.

The festival's eve had arrived. The Imperial City glowed with the soft light of countless lanterns. The streets were alive with music, dance, and joyous laughter. Children ran around with sparklers, their innocent giggles providing a stark contrast to the brewing storm that was about to engulf the city's elite.

At the heart of the festivities was the Duke's grand palace, where a lavish gala was being hosted. Noble families from distant lands had come to attend, their colorful robes and sparkling jewelry a testament to their wealth and power. The highlight of the evening was to be the Duke's announcement.