CHAPTER 4

Freya's eyes dart around the room before moving back to his blue-grey ones. She yanks his arm away and runs off.

Out of the apartment, down the stairs and across the road. She takes a bend in an alley, into a street she doesn't recognize. Only when her lungs hurt does she stop.

She looks back and sees that she's lost him.  A smile cuts across her lips.

Across her is a baby shop. She can see the dolls and teddies and toys. She looks up at the starry sky.

That day after her walk with Williams, the night had been starry too. They sat at the bank of a lake.

"How many kids should we have?" He said, holding her hand as the grass poked their feet.

"We?"

"Yes we."

"I'm thinking three."

"How about four?"

"Four's just fine."

The sound of nearby doors closing brings her out of her thoughts. She walks through the doors into a bar.

It is a small bar with leather stools, fancy chandeliers, blue lights and a sign that says 'Be careful of pickpockets and loose women.'

The bartender is a boyish young man with dirty blonde hair, brown eyes and smiling lips that make him look handsome in a cute way.

"What can I do you for, madamoiselle?

"Vodka. One bottle."

"Okey dokey, one bottle of vodka coming up for the pretty lady."

He hands her a bottle and a shot, smiling. As she sits down, she finds herself comparing him to Draven.

Draven. The demon's face comes to her head. She pours the alcohol into the shot and downs it. Each time she tries to think straight, his stupid voice rings in her ear and she downs shot after shot. By the fourth shot, her head starts spinning and the blue lights seem too bright.

A figure walks up and sits beside her. A figure with thick, scrugly beards.

"Hey." He smiles. "Do you remember me?"

"You... You look familiar." She says, his face spinning in her eyes.

"I tried to rob you one night but you beat me up and then you gave me money." His smile widens and she thinks he smiles like a lunatic.

"Oh, what's your... what's your name?"

"Brody."

"Hiiii Brody." She snorts and snickers.

"You know, I actually got a job at the mall."

"You know... I'm actually pregnant... " She nods. "For... For a demon." And laughs.

Brody and the cute bartender share a look.

"I think you've had too much to drink." Brody says, placing some money on the counter.

"Yes... I think so too." She staggers to her feet, her legs wobbly. "You know what I also think?" She says as Brody places his arm over her shoulder. "I also think... I should go home, to my house, where I live." She giggles.

Brody helps her and together they stumble off to the door. When they reach the door, they almost bump into a tall figure. She looks up and her eyes meet Draven's angry ones.

"Thank you." He says to Brody, ice in his voice. "I'll take it from here."

Brody looks at Draven fishilly.