Chapter One

*****

It was late into the evening by the time Mariana decided to study for her upcoming exams. The sun was setting, painting her room with a soft orange glow. If she weren't too distracted with the notes in front of her she would take a picture. Her Dachsbun, Basil, lay in the centre of her bed silently napping away. If she could she would have all of her pokemon out. Unfortunately her room was much too small, especially for Clover, her Farigiraf.

The papers scattered around her desk were filled with many notes and doodles, courtesy of boring classes. Now as she sat and struggled to take in the information, Mariana thought that doodling and playing guess the Pokemon in class with Penny was a bad idea.

"Why isn't this going in!" Mariana exclaimed in frustration, starting Basil from his slumber. "Sorry buddy."

With a sigh, Mariana brushed her fingers through her light pink hair. A couple of stray hairs caught between her fingers and Mariana shook them off and onto the floor. Maybe it would give her an excuse to clean. She quickly shook her head away from the thought and turned back to the papers on the desk.

With what Mariana had been doing all year, to completing the gym challenges, to taking down team star and helping Arven with Mabostiff, she was certain that she was prepared for the exams coming her way. After a few mock tests she had completed, she thought completely wrong. Mariana couldn't blame anyone but herself.

"Mariana!" A voice shouted through the door.

Mariana let out a sigh, not for the person standing the otherside of the door, but for the knowledge that she will simply get sidetracked and not study for yet another day. Once she clasped her hand around the door handle and pulled it open, Mariana was greeted with Nemona's smiling face.

Nemona simply allowed herself into Mariana's room and looked at the books and paper on the desk. "Studying?" she asked.

"I wouldn't call flipping through paper studying but each to their own," Mariana said and slumped down on her bed with Basil. "Nothing I do can make the information stick."

"I could help you!" Nemona offered.

Mariana laughed. "We will need supervision because if we are left on our own, we will be down at the battlefield in no time."

Nemona only turned to Mariana with a smirk on her face.

It wasn't long before Mariana clutched a pokeball in her hand, standing opposite Nemona, many onlookers excited to watch the battle commence.

"I won't go easy on you!" Nemona called from the opposite end of the field.

"I don't expect you to!" Mariana called back.

Nemona called out her Skeledirge and Mariana smiled and called out Thyme, her Quaquaval. Mariana did enjoy battling, as did her pokemon, especially if she was against Nemona. She always knew that she would give her a challenge. After earning the Champions Rank, Mariana was elated, though she didn't battle quite as much after it. She much preferred to rest for a while and all of her pokemon thought the same. Not that they didn't enjoy a good battle when it came to it.

Mariana and Nemona both battled until their very last pokemon. Nemona's Pawmot and Clover, Mariana's Farigiraf. Clover simply turned her head toward Mariana and she nodded and Clover set one final attack Pawmot's way. Nemona's pokemon swayed on its feet before falling forward, fainting.

"I won again!" Mariana teased her friend as the two met in the middle of the battlefield.

"Next time, just you wait," Nemona said as she slung her arm around mariana's shoulder's as the two walked away from the battle field, Clover following behind the two, her head occasionally coming down to nuzzle Mariana's shoulder just so Mariana remembered that she was there.