VIII

Mer broke the surface of the water and was surprised to not see the tent that was usually there. He looked around to see if maybe Oscar had set up somewhere else. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked around the beach to see if he could find Oscar on the shore. He was surprised to see three people on the far end of the beach. Mer swam over to see what was going on and resurfaced just as one of the people pushed someone down. Mer narrowed his eyes, seeing the person who got pushed was Oscar. He had never seen these two other humans but he knew what a shove was and the dynamics seemed hostile. He swam a little closer to hear what was going on.

*****************************

"I can't believe you read this gay shit..." Trent says, looking through the merfolk encyclopedia. "You actually find this entertaining?"

"Give the book back." Oscar growled from the ground. "It's not mine."

"Did your boyfriend give it to you?"

"No, it's from the library. Like, it's their property. How do you not know how a library works? Don't you live here?"

Trent side-eyed him. "You believe in this crap, don't you? You actually believe in the fairytales that the drunk guys at the bar started and made this place popular? I didn't know you were gay and stupid."

"I'm not either of them. Just because I wanted to know about merfolk doesn't mean I'm gay and what's so wrong around liking fantasy stuff? Stop talking like you actually understand how to speak."

Jeffrey had to chuckle at that but Trent seemed to take the insult personally. No one knew that he actually didn't have much of an education and so Oscar throwing back at him how stupid he may have sounded really pissed him off. He threw the book into the sand and then grabbed Oscar by the collar. He started dragging him to the water.

"You want to prove that mermaids are real? Come on, show me. If they're so real, then if I throw you into the water, will one come to save you?"

"Well, I can swim-"

Trent punched Oscar in the stomach, causing the wind to be knocked out of him, and then he walked him into the water. He threw him in and crossed his arms. Jeffrey frowned from the shore.

"Dude, what are you doing?"

"If he believes in mermaids so much, have one of them rescue him."

"Trent, you know they aren't real. Are you trying to murder him?"

"Pipe down, he'll be fine."

A few minutes went by and Oscar never resurfaced. Trent started to get a little nervous. Another few minutes went by and he started walking more into the ocean.

"Oscar? Yo, stop screwing around! I didn't hit you that hard!"

Jeffrey started to panic and step backwards.

"I'm- I'm going to get Mr. Isaiah-"

"Don't! Why would you do that? We'll get in trouble!"

"Oscar could be dead! I'm not getting pulled into something like that. My dad can't afford a lawyer or anything else that comes with it."

"Just... just give me a moment..." Trent said, running his fingers through his red hair.

He scanned the water for a moment when he thought he saw something floating there. He squinted his eyes to try and see better when he felt something brush past his leg. He gasped, starting to look around. Jeffrey watched in a panic, his blue eyes seeming to widen bigger and bigger. First Oscar is nowhere to be found and now Trent might be getting attacked by something? Oh god... not two people dying...