𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗

A/N: Let me know if you guys want the chapters to be centered or aligned to the left like previous chapters. I'll fix it to whichever you guys decide.

[CHAPTER IS NOT EDITED]

________________

As Cho Miyeon wrote the last letter of her name, the contract ignited into a blue fire that did not burn anything in its touch and soon withered into dust. The strange phenomenon made Cho Miyeon flinch and almost lose her cool. She did not have time to ask as the Guildmaster beat her to it. "A mana contract," the Guildmaster stated while staring at the Duchess."I am a guildmaster for a reason. A foreign one at that. In this line of work, immediate trust is given through this method." It was something she was far too familiar with.

The Guildmaster crossed her legs and became ready to explain herself. "Duchess, did you honestly believe I would have signed something so important without it being a mana contract? What would a mere contract do in our circumstances if one side's knowledge cannot be known by the kingdom?" Cho Miyeon had not thought of it in that way. It made sense that her "information" was far more important enough for her to want to keep it a secret. If there were any disputes within a regular contract, there would have been no way to get it resolved under the kingdom law. It would naturally be a disadvantage for her.

"At least with this, we can both keep our promises without any unnecessary variables." Cho Miyeon nodded along to the Guildmaster's words. "You are right. I presume it was naive of me to agree to a simple contract." She would have accidentally screwed herself over if the Guildmaster turned out to be a con artist.

But then again, if it had been a regular contract, Cho Miyeon would have no idea as to where to keep it out of the manor's and Soojin's reach. Perhaps if she was the real Duchess, that strange woman would have most likely already had someplace to hide her most prized possessions. She could have even hidden them in the manor, her uniqueness and cold attitude would have everyone fear her enough to not go snooping around. Cho Miyeon was far different from the real Duchess.

Instead, she enjoyed tea parties, ballrooms, dresses, and styling her makeup in different ways. The dull color scheme of her dresses were too different from the ones she liked. What suited and fit her best was a light-colored dress with soft green designs, like the dress she wore to her coming-of-age ceremony, and she was loved by all—or so she thought. Back home, she would have left important documents on her desk, and like a fool, she often left her door open, completely blinded by the hatred her sister had for her.

"But what exactly is a mana contract?" Although she understood the important parts, such as it being a soul-binding contract, she was unfamiliar with the word mana and the reasoning behind the contract being set on fire by a mysterious blue flame. That question made Yeh Shuhua sit up straight and uncross her legs. "You are joking." Cho Miyeon shook her head to which the Guildmaster sighed. "For it to cost so much gold and its almost exclusivity to the aristocrats and royal family, you all do not know the value of things." It was great that the Guildmaster did not overthink her lack of understanding.

"The blue flames guarantee even the most imbeciles the authenticity of a mana contract. Essentially it is something to do with one's self that creates magic and magic is something regular humans cannot do, such as the user that cursed your family. So, when one signs a mana contract, which is a parchment cast with magic by a mana user, it makes sense for it to be soul-binding. Neither side can reject it without both parties dying." Yeh Shuhua almost felt worried. Had she signed something so important to someone who does not even know what a simple mana contract is? With that lack of knowledge, what could the Duchess possibly offer her?