Heir (Xingqiu)

A gentle breeze danced across the tranquil pavilion, ruffling a young child's short ocean-hued locks as he diligently read the contents of his textbook. Taking to heart the teachings being imparted to him both by the author and of his tutor who eagerly watched the boy devour knowledge day after day of their classes.

" I can never thank Rex Lapis enough that Young Master Junjie is a model student! I'm sure those fools over at the academy are practically foaming at the mouth in envy that I was blessed to be his teacher! "

While the scholar nodded to himself in satisfaction, rubbing his thin and well-maintained goatee as he got caught up in his own thoughts, Junjie's eyes are as clear as water yet as swift as wind as evidenced by the amount of time it took before he flipped to the next page of his reading material.

Despite his small stature, Junjie sat straight and radiated a dignified and noble air usually only seen in young masters from aristocratic families. He certainly wouldn't lose to any of them had he been placed in the academy with them, but that was something that wouldn't happen for several years more to come. Until then, he'll continue to be taught under the guidance of his private tutors and his family, namely his grandfather and uncle who were veteran businessmen.

.

.

.

What about his father?

.

.

.

Junjie's father isn't absent in his life, nor was he a fool that couldn't teach his own son. Rather, his father's skills weren't business-related at all.

Instead of dabbling in commerce, his father chose to be a—

"Excuse me, Master Huang. I'm afraid I'll be collecting my son now as it is time for his martial arts training."

Before the scholar could utter a word of protest, his most prized student is snatched up before his very eyes by the boy's own father.

As this was transpiring, you were comfortably finishing up your newest embroidery piece at another part of the garden. Your maidservant stood faithfully behind you, fanning you gently so as to keep your temperature neither too warm nor cold. It is a beautifully tranquil scene, one that could easily be the subject of any painter in need of inspiration.

When you are nearing the last few stitches, you almost jump in surprise as two pairs of hands cover your eyes and obscure your vision.

"!!!"

"Mama!/Good day, my lady~"

As soon as they take their hands back, you are treated with the cheeky smiles of your adorable son and impish husband.

You puff your cheeks out indignantly at your playful husband who insisted on playing these little tricks of his even long after you'd been married. Xinqiu's smile only widens into a sly grin, something that makes his already elegantly handsome features seem...roguish and dare you say it, even more attractive than he already is!

As if he knows exactly the kind of direction your thoughts are going, the ocean-haired Guhua Clan Master leans downwards until you're both almost nose to nose. "Dearest wife, if you keep making that sort of expression please don't blame me if I am unable to hold myself back once we retreat to our quarters for the night. I am but an ordinary man susceptible to even the slightest provocations from his beautiful wife~"

You nearly squawk in an undignified manner at his brazen confession as your cheeks turn an almost worrying shade of vermillion.

Despite your initial reactions however, you both know that you enjoyed this form of flirting between the two of you. That is why instead of pinching him in anger, you huff and grab your son instead in order to hug him to your chest, an act that Junjie happily reciprocates because he really does love any sort of affection from his beloved mother.

"...May Rex Lapis help us all if you become just like your father when you grow up..."

"What was that, dearest?"