Chapter 3

Celicia felt half-dead by the time she finished packing the shit load of stuff. Her head was pounding. She pulls on a white tunic and clasps on a belt adorned with daggers, each more cunning than the other. She orders the servants to carry out the baggage. She stands in front of the foggy mirror. One breath after another.

Her boots thud against the white marble floors. She descends the stairs slowly, she was to leave today. Her stomach sink in the weight of that thought. Her sister is waiting by the carriage. Celicia removes the crystal globe in which a tiny hurricane twirled, she had made it with her magic- it would spin as long as she lived, it would turn as long as she stayed away from danger. Mahina's eyes meets hers, her eyes were hurt-stricken. Celicia hands Iris the tiny globe. A single crystal tear rolls down Iris's cheek. Celicia embraces her, whispering words of comfort. Celicia slowly pulls away, a heavy weight on her chest.

"Nyx will accompany you" Iris rasps her voice shaky and breathless. Indeed, she spots her loyal friend Nyx, whose black hair shines under the now-rising sun. Nyx offers her a wild grin: Fake.

Her father was nowhere to be found. Celicia shifts into her animal form, a snow-white wolf, as she approaches the carriage. Nyx patiently waits by the carriage as celicia uses her predatory senses to asses the threats in the carriage. The carriage was a washed-out gold color, decorated with brown lettering of the word Alfrothul. It had been sent as a polite invite. Celicia switches back, gently settling herself in the plush white cushions when she was sure of no threats. Nyx joined her a book in hand. Celicia loved reading but her friend Nyx was obsessed with it, she lived more in books than in the real world. Nyx wore a cunning green gown and a collection of daggers and swords at her waist.

"What do you know about Alfrothul?" celicia asks, careful to keep her voice low.

"Nothing much, just the pure hate against mephitis and Andromeda" Nyx frowns

"Why? Why do they hate us?"

"After one of the sisters betrayed their own for Azreal, and got themselves killed. Each kingdom blamed the other for the betrayal starting a rivalry. " Nyx informs. Huh.

"Legend says that the orym labyrinth holds the knowledge of what happened that day but only the sisters knew how to navigate it, now the labyrinth is featureless and abandoned. " Nyx adds. Celicia looks out, as the carriage turns towards enemy territory.

They ride on through a caravan, between pillars of roots, over packed earth. They pass dozens of fae, crowding to watch the departure of the princess. Too many for her eyes to drink in, yet she cannot look away. Death approached Alfrothul.