Chapter 2: A what?!

(Chapter cover: tricked into becoming the heroine's stepmother)

3rd POV

Deep within the lush jungle, a canopy of verdant foliage draped from the towering trees above. Small creatures scuttled across the forest floor, while enigmatic airborne birds let out alien squawks.

The towering jungle tree that loomed above the two figures provided blessed shelter from the searing sun. Massive vines and leaves enshrouded the entire jungle, creating the perfect haven for wandering beasts, particularly the path taken by a certain witch...

Amidst the jungle's depths, a thunderous, ear-piercing sound caused the trees to shudder, sending ripples through the leaves.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?! WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" Vivian's voice pierced the air.

Vivian gestured incredulously at the naked man before her, her shock palpable as she took in the sight of the beastman she had just encountered today.

His dark, majestic wings unfurled from his back, marking him as a fusion of human and bird. The blue-haired male, known as Riven, was a raven beastman.

"Female! I told you, I am a Raven orc," Riven grumbled, his gaze fixed on the astonished woman.

Vivian found herself in a state of utter disbelief, not because Riven had disclosed his identity as a Raven orc, but because she had come to the startling realization that she was in the wrong place entirely. This was not her path back home. She was acutely aware that this locale was far removed from her intended destination.

Just an hour ago, she had set out on her broom in search of a place she could call home, driven by the relentless pursuit of numerous bounty hunters. She had decided to relocate to evade her pursuers.

However, little had she known that her journey had transported her far from her original location, plunging her into a different era! Presumably, the stone age where prehistoric dinosaurs existed!

Vivian blamed the knight who shot a fiery arrow!

The place she had traveled to looked like the Stone Age, just as she had read in her family's books. She believed her ancestors once lived here, where dinosaurs and mystical creatures roamed. Riven had also mentioned that different species of orcs lived in this era.

Although she was far from the Kingdom of Helios, she didn't have to worry about bounty hunters or anyone trying to harm her. Her only concern was finding her way back home.

After their argument, Vivian decided to stand up. She brushed dirt and leaves off her black dress. Meanwhile, the naked Riven remained seated, bombarding her with questions, irritating her with his incessant chatter. She didn't want to answer him because she found him suspicious.

Riven grew increasingly irritated by Vivian's stubbornness.

Just as Vivian was about to respond to one of Riven's questions, she noticed her missing black boot, which had been lost during their crash landing. She looked around, ignoring the naked orc behind her. In the distance, near a berry bush, she spotted her missing boot and broom.

"My broom!" she exclaimed.

As she moved to retrieve it, Riven suddenly gripped her wrist with his large, scarred hand, bringing her to a halt. He looked concerned.

"Female, where are you going? The Blackwood Forest is dangerous. I'll take you to a tribe," he offered.

Riven couldn't explain why, but he felt defeated by this woman. He couldn't fathom how this black-haired woman had the ability to fly. Despite his embarrassment, he knew he couldn't leave her alone in the Blackwood Forest; she would be at risk from other dangerous creatures. In the beast world, males had a duty to protect females, who were considered treasures. Leaving her alone was not an option.

"No thanks," Vivian replied, though it didn't change Riven's mind.

"Female, trust me; it will become incredibly dangerous once the sun sets," he assured her.

The Blackwood Forest was perilous, filled with demonic beasts that emerged after dark. Despite finding her irritating, Riven felt responsible for her safety as a male.

Riven slowly rose to his feet, though his legs wobbled slightly from the crash landing. His wings vanished. He watched as Vivian, the black-haired woman, bent down to retrieve a stick and fur from the bushes. Her attire was unusual, especially the fur on her feet. Riven knew most orcs went barefoot and wore plain animal fur skirts or dresses.

"Female, where are your companions? Why are you here alone? Le—"

Riven began to ask before his heart started pounding rapidly, and he felt a severe ache in his body.

Vivian, who had been putting on her boot and gathering the remaining parts of her broken broom, turned to see Riven, who had been arguing with her moments ago, now lying on the ground. Although she had only met him today and couldn't completely trust him, she couldn't let him die, especially since he had saved her from falling earlier. This wasn't what she wanted.

"Hey! Are you okay? What's wrong?" Vivian asked, concerned.

She rushed over to Riven, who was lying on the ground. His groans of pain filled the air, prompting her to approach him to figure out what was happening.

Vivian noticed that Riven's body was trembling uncontrollably, and his heartbeat sounded loud in her ears. She gently tried to lift his face off the ground, but it only seemed to make his pain worse.

For the first time, Vivian, a witch, felt nervous. She had seen many people die during her lifetime, but seeing Riven in this state was different. She could tell that he didn't view her as an enemy, despite their earlier arguments. Vivian knew she was partly to blame for clinging to him when she was about to fall.

Even during their arguments, Riven had shown no aggression towards her. It surprised her that, no matter how much she complained, he only frowned and treated her with kindness.

He had asked about her well-being and showed concern, which made her feel a strange warmth in her heart. Though she tried to dismiss his caring words as nonsense, deep down, she couldn't deny that she appreciated his kindness.

"Don't come near! Please, it will spread," Riven warned through clenched teeth as the unknown pain continued to course through his body.

His green eyes, which had opened a few minutes ago, gradually closed as everything turned blurry.

Vivian felt utterly helpless, unable to do anything but watch him suffer. She possessed magical powers, but she hesitated to use them, fearing it might worsen his condition. She didn't understand what was happening to him, but a sinking feeling in her gut told her that he was experiencing something sinister.

She remembered that he had been fine during their fall. However, seeing him now, lying on the ground in agony, was a stark contrast. Vivian's purple eyes swirled and then glowed as she noticed something strange appearing on Riven's body.

"What the?!" she exclaimed, her mouth falling open in shock.

Vivian couldn't believe her eyes as a black shadow materialized right before her. It started on Riven's back and slowly spread. She was dumbfounded, realizing that it wasn't an illness causing his pain. She knew that it was something far more sinister

It was a curse...