basement

!! TW !! (abuse)

narrators pov:

espen stared at the small piece of chalk in my hands shed been so angrily jabbing at the basement wall. the white powder now laid over the floor in a thin blanket. she kicked at it and stirred it up, then started coughing.

"espen, i dont have time to deal with another one of your fucking asthma attacks, get your ass up here!" a scream from upstairs. espen groaned. "coming mom!"

when espen changed and got upstairs, it was pretty clear her mom was suffering from a severe hangover. a bottle of ibuprofen was clenched in her fists and her hand was pressed to her forehead. 

"mom, drink water, it help" espen suggested. before she had time to get a glass to fill, her mothers arm flung out and smacked her right in her jaw. she groaned and clutched a hand to her face. "im not thirsty. get in the fucking car."

see, her mother wasn't always horribly abusive. only when she was drunk or hung over, so it was fine. which is what espen told herself to avoid hating her mother. was it true? no. was it a healthy way to cope? no. but her mothers house was the only place she could stay with her limited money, so she dealt.

!! TW OVER !!

espen sighed and stumbled out the door. her jaw had a dull kind of hurt, the kind that didn't really hurt per say, it was just really annoying. and, in that moment, espen made a choice. stay here with her mother and get in the car, or call an uber and leave her small town forever. maybe go off to new york. or seattle. any of the big cities would work. it'd make it hard for her mom to find her if she went looking.

so what did she do? pull out her phone and call an uber as fast as humanly possible.

- x x x x x x x x x x x x x -

it was a fine day in new york. the sun was out and the city was bustling as usual. angry new yorkers raised fists at tourists who didn't seem to understand how fast paced the city was, and the tourists responded with feeble shouts. something or other about "hospitality" (a clearly foreign word to the people of new york).

wilbur was sitting on a bench, watching as the city drama unfolded. a couple was breaking up. a couple was getting engaged. someone found their dream dog wandering the streets. another sobbed in front a  "have you seen this dog poster." a pretty typical day, if you asked him.

he also watched as an uber pulled to the side of the street and dropped a girl off. she was clearly foreign to new york. hell, she was trying to bargain with the uber driver. it was also made pretty clear to him she didn't have the money to pay. how far had she been stupid enough to drive in an uber here from?

he let out an irritated sigh. he watched this same scene unfold in front of him every day, but somehow this one seemed different. like he needed to help, and if he didn't, he'd never get the chance to again. he couldn't help but wonder if it was because of the girl or the uber driver.

so, with reluctance, wilbur stood up and pulled so money out of his pocket, hoping to god it was enough and he didn't make a fool of himself. "hey!" he called, grabbing the desperate girls attention. 

"uh.. hey" she mumbled. her face was tomato read. was she embarrassed how obvious it was she was broke?

wilbur smiled politely at the girl before striding up to the driver. "hey, how much does she owe you?" 

the driver glared and held out her hand. she wanted the entire stack of money in wilbur's hands? god, talk about greedy. (A/N totally not just bc idk how much she'd owe)

wilbur handed over the money without a second thought. it wasn't like he didn't have more, right? the driver counted it carefully, eyed wilbur suspiciously, then drove off.

the girl turned to wilbur and scratched the back of her head. "um- thanks. you really didn't have to do that"

wilbur just shrugged. "it's chill. not like it's nothing i haven't done before." he could only wonder if it was obvious he was lying. i mean, he just didn't want her to think it was so he could get in her pants. so a white lie, kind of?

"oh! i'm espen" espen smiled and held out her hand. wow, she really was not a local if she thought this was how things worked. so, she obviously needed a local to help her around right? besides, it's only be the first few weeks or so to get her settled in if she was moving here.

"i'm wilbur."

- x x x x x x x x x x x x x -

A/N

wahoooo

yes wilbur lives in new york now leave me alone