Untitled part

One

            I am not looking forward to this new "adventure" of moving to Florida. Despite breaking up with my toxic ex lover, Taylor, last summer, I still miss a part of her. I've been with her for almost two years, and she was my first kiss and first love. I miss every element of her. Even though we broke up, I still want to repair my relationship with her, but I can't because I will be moving to Florida and I will no longer be in school with her.

    There is another relationship I want to repair but I am leaving behind, and that is with my father. He spends all his days drinking alcohol and smoking pot, which Taylor tried to get me to do. My father drives under the influence of pot and alcohol...a lot, and after dropping me off high from an overnight with him when I was ten, my mother no longer allowed me to visit him, and I haven't seen him since then.

    I sit in the car during the long and grueling drive to Florida, in the back seat, next to my eight year old half-brother, Ben. He is unfazed by moving to a totally new state. I try my best to ignore my mother bragging to my stepfather Ernie about how great life is going to be in Florida. I try to think positive, but everything I thought would go well always turned into a disaster, such as visiting my dad, my two year relationship with Taylor, and Ernie entering my life. (My relationship with my stepfather is extremely strained.) I don't know what to expect in Florida; I don't have any family there and I don't know anybody there. How should I expect it to go well?!

    As I drive into what my mother thinks is "paradise," I just want to cringe. It is so hot and humid in Florida; warmer than I expected for October. I feel like the entire place is either surrounded by old people or homeless people on the streets, begging for money for drugs. It is so undesirable! I wanted to puke...

    When we finally arrived at our new house, it looked beautiful on the outside; we have a huge pool in our backyard. However, the inside has nothing. No furniture yet, since everything is in the moving truck, and we have to sleep on the floor for a few nights until our furniture comes.

    The new town I live in is just as boring as my hometown in New York, except it is surrounded with palm trees and there is a beach nearby. My mother is happy as long as there's an ocean and palm trees.

    My first day at a new school in Florida was about ten days after I moved here. On my first day, nobody talked to me; everyone seemed to have their cliques of friends, and didn't care at all about the new senior. The seniors are the rudest, especially after being growled at by ten senior boys for no reason.

    Everything changed after this one boy in my geometry class helped me when I dropped my binder.

    "You need help?" The boy asked me. His voice didn't sound deep at all. I wonder if he's transgender.

    "Uh...sure, thank you so much!" I said to the guy. "You're literally the first person who spoke to me politely today, let alone wants to help me!"

    After he and I picked up all the loose papers off the floor that fell out of my binder, he was finally able to introduce himself.

    "I'm Alan," The guy said to me.

    "I'm Avery," I said to Alan.

    We shook hands.

    "Do you know where your next class is?" Alan asked me. "I'll show you where it is since it's your first day."

    "Uh sure, thank you so much Alan!"
    I told Alan what my next class is, which is US government, and he told me he's in that class with me too. I was super thrilled to have a friend on my first day at a new school. He's really cute too!