05

"Why am I here again?" Ana asked Tommy as she took in the scenery around her, her hand moving to trace the flowers that grew by the picket fence

"Why am I here again?" Ana asked Tommy as she took in the scenery around her, her hand moving to trace the flowers that grew by the picket fence. The girl never liked the countryside but still admired the beauty of it. Tommy cleared his throat and tapped the girl's shoulder, Ana looking up and following his eye line which was focusing on two boys, one looking around her age and the other younger who were being called in by their mother. "Who are they?" Ana asked again.

"You'll find out, come on," he replied bluntly, their eyes still focusing on the two boys who had now thrown the football over the fence before they leaped over the gate.

The two began walking up the driveway and closer to the house, Ana walking behind him as she took in her surroundings. the teen took notice of the greenness of the countryside and the flowers that grew which wasn't something she was used to having living in Birmingham.

"Mrs Johnson?" Tommy asked as the woman guided her sons inside.

"Yes?" she spoke hesitantly. "Who are you?"

"We're from the Birmingham Council. Bordesley Parish," Tommy replied calmly.

"No one wrote to me," the woman replied nervously. Ana stood beside Tommy and looked up to the house to see the older of the two boys lingering outside the house looking at her and Tommy. "What do you want?"

"I would like to talk to you about your son, about Henry. Can we come in?" Tommy asked and looked over to the boy.

"I'd rather you didn't. He doesn't like to talk about this," she replied panicked.

"I see," Tommy nodded and looked down while Ana was more confused now than what she was before. "So what does Henry know about his real identity, Mrs Johnson?"

"I only deal with Mr Ross from the agency. And he only ever writes. So why are you here in person?" she asked ignoring Tommy's question.

"Well, the boy is approaching his eighteenth birthday," he told her.

Ana didn't like the situation that Tommy had put her in she was now beginning to piece things together and she didn't like it. Henry's real name wasn't Henry but in fact Michael who the girl had heard about by accident from Esme but she knew better than to tell anyone that Esme let slip and that Michael was Polly's son that got taken from her. Tommy's eyes briefly looked to Ana to see the face that he knew all too well. The face she pulled when she had figured something out.

"This isn't right," the woman said, her voice cracking. "You aren't from the council. Something isn't right."

"What does he know, Mrs Johnson?" he asked, voice void of emotion.

"He knows his mother couldn't cope. She drank too much, used opium. She used to beat him," she lied.

"But that's bullshit. You're lying to your son in the hopes that he won't get bored of you and try to find his real mum, aren't you?" Ana chimed in.