Bittersweet

Mingyu sat outside a convenience store with tears streaming down his cheeks and a bottle of soju in his hand. He had just done something terrible. A dreadful feeling washed over him as he stared at the translucent rain that dripped down the convenience store windows. His thoughts slowly became more lucid as he slowly processed them. Not even four hours ago he was running around with his two best friends bar hopping and partying like there was no tomorrow. He, his childhood friend Wonwoo, and a girl they called Hani whom they had met in high school were practically inseparable. That was until he had caught the two of them together without him.

"Why did he have to like her" he'd asked himself this question at least a hundred times in the past hour. The truth was that Mingyu wasn't jealous of Wonwoo he was in love with him. Who wouldn't be? Wonwoo was tall, masculine but feminine, and his voice was Mingyu's absolute favorite thing about him. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't stop thinking about him. Every little thing about him had Mingyu's mind running a thousand miles a minute.

He glanced down at his phone peering at his lock screen. To Mingyu, Wonwoo was the most photogenic person he had ever seen. It was almost as if he had a phosphorescent glow that had followed him everywhere he went. Mingyu's little crush had grown into an obsession and the prospect of knowing he would see Wonwoo later that day had excited him. That was until about an hour or so ago. He was only supposed to scare her but now she lay dead in an alleyway five blocks from where he was sitting.

"It wasn't supposed to go this far" He kept telling himself. Mingyu wasn't the type to let things go easily and when he saw the two of them together he wanted nothing more than to get rid of her. He had waited until Wonwoo was long gone, pulled up his hood and his mask, and had begun to follow her closely from behind. Everything was running smoothly until she began to run from him. He had to improvise and thinking on his feet he ran after her.

While running a few feet in front of him she lost her balance and tripped hitting her head on the edge of the sidewalk. Mingyu stopped dead in his tracks staring down in horror. Blood seeped down the sidewalk as he slowly backed away. The terror he felt as if her specter was there haunting him as he fled was unmeasurable.

He sat back recalling the memory and poured himself another shot. In his heart, he knew that it was providential that he would be caught but he couldn't bring himself to elucidate his actions. He couldn't bear to circumspect his freedom by coming clean. Mingyu knew what Wonwoo would think of him as invidious had he known. He watched a moth through the rain fly into a streetlight most likely seeking shelter. "What a phototropic species" This was the first thought he had today that wasn't about Wonwoo or Hani and for the first time in the past hour he smiled to himself. He stood up bottle in his hand and began to walk home through the rain. Tomorrow Mingyu would tell Wonwoo that he loved him even though he wasn't expecting to hear it back.