𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝒾𝓍

Kazuno tensed. She had a feeling Subaru might've wanted to have a chat. A serious talk with him was long overdue, anyway. Nodding wordlessly, she followed him to a little gazebo by the side. An uncomfortable silence hung between them, before Subaru cleared his throat and began, looking away from her. "Kazu, about my birthday..."

Kazuno had a feeling it would be about this. She exhaled. "Suba-nii. Don't worry about it anymore."

He whipped round to face her, eyes wide. "Kazu—"

Kazuno shook her head, standing. Subaru stiffened as she stepped closer, till they were nearly chest to chest. She gazed up at him with clear, determined eyes that held a hint of anguish. "From now on, I'll be well aware of my boundaries." She broke eye contact. "It was an accident anyway. I'm not bothered by it." Subaru felt his chest tighten. She was talking about their kiss, wasn't she? He hardened his resolve, firmly putting both hands on her shoulders. "No, Kazu. Let me apologise properly."

He took a deep breath. "I've never thought you were a pain, ever. L—like I said before..." Subaru stumbled as he caught her gaze once more. "You're my sister, and I—I...care for you. A lot. Please believe me. I—" He mumbled, feeling heat creep to his cheeks as he looked at her beseechingly. He opened his mouth to say more, but thankfully, Kazuno stopped him. She placed a hand on his bicep, cutting him off with a smile that made his chest tighten with emotion. "I believe you, Suba-nii."

Subaru's heart squeezed painfully as she brushed past him without taking his hand like she normally would, going down the gazebo steps carefully, mindful of her heels on the uneven grass. So she really was upholding her vow over the limits between them. She glanced back and quirked a smile. "Aren't you coming? Someone might think we've run off."

He swallowed the lump on his throat and nodded, following her as she turned and started walking. His hand, outstretched to take her hand, fell to his side as he uttered the words she had prevented him from saying earlier.

"...I love you, Kazu. Though I'm pretty sure everyone else does, too."

"Then, here I go!"

"Then, here I go!"

Miwa turned, casting a sidelong glance at the clamouring crowd of women below. Grasping her bouquet with both hands, she swung her arms once, painting the path for how she wanted it to go in her mind as she closed her eyes and tossed it over her shoulder. Countless pairs of eyes feverishly followed the bouquet's trajectory, and dozens of hands reached out to catch it as it sailed through the air, only to land in a surprised Kazuno's hands.

She stood frozen for a minute, staring at the flowers in her hands, before everyone clapped and cheered.

"Congratulations!"

Up on the balcony, Miwa winked at Kazuno.

"It's settled! The next bride is little Kazuno!"

Ema grasped Kazuno's arm happily. "Oh, Kazu!"