E

eddie and richie went to school normally the next day, eddie trying to console richie, who brushed it off and said it was 'in the past.'

school was normal, richie was just acting like his normal self again. eddie wondered how someone could go from so miserable to super happy in the span of only twelve hours.

but of course, good things come to an end, and richie just had to receive a call in the middle of lunch. he sighed, answering it hesitantly.

"yes, dad?" he breathed. eddie looked at him quickly. "hold on- i-i can't- i can't hear you-" richie quickly held his phone away from his face, rolling his eyes as the man screamed through it. the losers all looked over, being able to hear it as well.

"who the fuck is screaming at you like that?" beverly asked.

"no one," richie sighed. "hold up kids, i'll be back."

richie stood and excused himself, putting the phone back up to his ear and talking to his dad. the group watched him.

"jesus.." eddie said. "what an asshole."

"what?" beverly asked.

"not richie, the guy on the phone."

"oh, yeah," she agreed.

"sounds like a douche. wonder what richie did," stanley said, taking another bite from his sandwich. eddie just stared at richie's back as he walked away.

"can you stop fucking calling me just to ruin my mood?!" richie yelled, standing it the bathroom that held no students.

"you're the one who fucked up the call. my intention was never to yell at you."

"your LIFE intention is to yell at me!"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP."

"EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN."

"I SWEAR TO GOD, RICHARD, IF YOU COME HOME TONIGHT YOU'RE GOING TO BE DEAD."

"YOU TOLD ME I HAD TO BE HOME!"

"EXACTLY."

richie scoffed and wiped at the tear that rolled down his cheek. 'stop fucking crying, richie, he's not worth it..' he thought, taking a deep breath.

"whatever. don't call again," richie mumbled.

"YOU DO NO-"

richie hung up the phone and shoved it in his pocket, making his way back to the cafeteria.

'he must be insecure. he must be so insecure, so unhappy, to be calling me during fucking school to yell at me like this,' richie thought, wiping a hand over his face and displaying a small smile.

"heyy," he sang, sitting back down.

"what was that about?" mike asked. richie just shrugged.

"nothing."

"why did he- that guy- sound so.. mad?" eddie asked. richie sighed.

"i don't even know, man. he's a weirdoooo. anyways! how's today been, everybody?"

conversation was brought to life again, and everyone forgot about the call richie got. everyone but eddie.

as the two walked home, richie stopped eddie. "hey, uh, eds?"

"yeah, rich?"

"can we talk? it's serious."

"yeah! uh, do you want to come in?" eddie asked, pointing to his front door. richie nodded shamefully. eddie nodded in response, rubbing his shoulder. "you okay?"

"yeah."

the two entered, ms. k sitting in her recliner.

"eddie-bear!"

"yes, mommy?"

"what's that awful smell?"

"maybe it's her fatass from sitting in that chair all day," richie said under his breath, and eddie elbowed him.

"sorry mommy, i think i stepped in the neighbor's dog's poop or something," eddie said, pushing richie out of her vision.

"really? hm. i could've sworn that tozier kid walked in here."

richie cupped his heart, jaw dropping.

"ms k..." he whimpered, swiping at fake tears.

eddie scoffed, grabbed richie's wrist, and dragged him to his room.

"i'm gonna take a nap, mommy."

"okay, eddie-bear!"

eddie closed his door and motioned for richie to sit on his bed. richie did so, uncomfortable. "what's going on?"

"umm.. so.. it's- it's about.." richie said shakily, looking around the room.

"rich, calm down. take a deep breath, then tell me." eddie held richie's hands. richie did so, and looked at eddie.

"i don't wanna go home," he said quietly. eddie's eyebrows furrowed.

"what happened? is this about the call?" eddie asked. richie sniffed and nodded, looking down again, and adjusting his glasses.

"my dad's really mad.. and.. i don't think it's safe for me to be home.." he said hesitantly. eddie's head tilted.

"richie, what's that supposed to mean?" richie looked at him with scared eyes and a serious expression, one eddie rarely ever saw. "does he hurt you?"

richie stared at eddie for a second, looking down again. "yes."

"what?!"

"please.. please keep this a secret."

"i-.. richie, that is serious."

"i know."

"you're not gonna speak up about it?! tell the police?!"

"eddie, one of the top police officers abuses their kid, you think their gonna do something about my case?" richie said, looking up at him pathetically. eddie sighed.

"fuck.. we need to get out of derry. i don't understand why you didn't tell us?!"

"it was supposed to be a secret.." richie whispered. "but i can't deal with this anymore."

"when did he start?"

"um.. may tenth, couple months ago," richie recalled. eddie looked at him with sympathy.

"you should've said something! is that what this bruise on your face is from?" eddie asked, pointing to richie's eye. he nodded. "holy shit.. that's-"

"terrible, i know."

"rich.." eddie mumbled. richie refused to look at him. "how about.. you stay here as many nights as you can. if you have to be at your house, that's fine, but if that man lays a finger on you, come to me immediately. o-or text or call me, i'll be over in no time."

"thank you, eddie, that really means the world to me."

eddie smiled at him. "of course. i really hope your dad gains some common fucking sense and stops hurting you, you deserve better, rich."

richie hugged him for a short period of time, when pulling away saying, "can i stay here tonight?"

"of course."