1

"This is going to be so awesome,” Summer said. “I can feel it in my toes. My excitement toes are tingling."

-Jason Krumbine-

~~~~

August 31th, 2023.

It was ten minutes to midnight. Most of the lights of the entire house were off, yet a faint sound of pencil scratching on a paper were heard from one certain closed bedroom.

Under a dim lamp on her desk, a little girl in her cloud-printed pajamas was diligently dancing her pencil on one page of her scrapbook. She had been at it for almost an hour, trying to finish her drawing of a memory that she could vividly recall in her mind.

At some points, she would frown and tilt her little head while looking at her unfinished work of art. Minutes later, she would abruptly erase a big part of it and grunt in frustration.

The paper was now crumpled and dirty because of the repated erase-drawing she did, but the sketch was somehow starting to become clear except for a certain part that she could hardly remember.

What did his smile look like again? Why do I always forget what it looks like? she thought while nibbling the edge of her nails impatiently. Her left leg even started to shake involuntarily.

Then her eyes caught the time shown on her phone.

23:55

Oh no! Five minutes left!

She nonchalantly closed the scrapbook, threw away her pencil, turned off the light, and clumsily dove into her bed before pulling the comforter up to her head. Her heart was beating so fast because of the sudden excitement she felt. The ticking sound of the clock attached to her bedroom wall somehow made her feel giddy. She tried to calm herself and pretend to sleep, but the smile refused to leave her blushing face. The little girl couldn't help but squeal under the blanket.

Beep. Beep. Beep!

She gasped and immediately snatched her phone from the bedside table to turn off the notification sound.

MY BIRTHDAY! Was shown on the screen. Yes, today, September 1st, was her birthday. It was her 10th birthday this year. But it wasn't the one that was making her thrilled right now. There was something else, no, someone, whom she was waiting for.

Someone who would silently stand at the corner of the room at her every candle-blowing party, watching her unwrap all the gifts she got, with a particular smile plastered on his face.

Someone who would always be the first one to wish her a happy birthday quietly in the dark of her room when the clock hit 00:00.

Someone who consistently did all of those things invisibly, in secret in silent, for ten solid years of her life.

.
.
.
Or perhaps that was what he thought he was doing for all these years, because for her, his existence himself was as clear as the sky after the rain.

His face, his gestures and his voice.

She was able to catch them with her innocence eyes since she could ever remember.

Yet, she kept it a secret, a secret that only she knew about.

About her Secret Companion.

*****

A/N:

Expect the unexpected about the unscheduled update, about the lenght of each chapter and about the plot.
Lmao!

Here, my only wish is that I could bring any joy to those who stumble upon my story.

Hope you will ride with me till the end.

P.S.
It is in line with Silver Lining part 2, so yeah..if you haven't checked the previous ones, you better start from Silver Lining part 1 hahaha!

Have a nice day, guys!

XOXO
_SugaRush_