Part 9

Saturday morning, you wake up earlier than normal

Saturday morning, you wake up earlier than normal. Groping for your phone on the bedside table, you blearily open a chat to Jungkook's name. His last text was on Sunday and, after rereading this several times, you wearily lower your phone. Tossing aside your covers, you pad into your bathroom and brush your teeth.

Some things can't be fixed overnight. You need to think before reapproaching Jungkook, to consider what to say so he'll understand. Or maybe he won't. The thought of this very real possibility makes your heart twist, though you ignore it the best you can to get dressed.

After breakfast, you bring your dishes to the sink and stare at the faucet. Before, you would have avoided anything to do with magic, but now...

With a deep breath, you reach inward and extend a tendril of magic. The water responds, slowly at first and then, all at once. The dishes begin washing themselves, lifting a sponge to get themselves soapy.

Seokjin wanders out of his room, bleary-eyed. Walking right past you, he plods to the coffee pot and grabs a new filter.

"If you break more of my dishes, you should just get me a new set," he mumbles.

Grin widening, you finish the dishes and put them away by hand. It's intoxicating to use magic and have nothing bad happen. You almost forgot what that felt like. A small step, but to you, it was once insurmountable. Knowing this grants the courage to make other decisions.

Dressing quickly for the day, you walk out of your bedroom. "Did I tell you I went into an art store on Thursday?" you ask Seokjin, seated at the kitchen table.

He yawns. "That's nice."

"They wanted me to teach an art class."

Abruptly, he sets down his mug. "Wait, seriously?" Seokjin's eyes widen. "You should do that!"

"I plan to. Well." You hesitate. "I wasn't going to, but now I am. I think I'll head there this morning."

Seokjin nods, although something uncertain drifts across his face. Toying with the edge of his mug, he seems to be thinking. Waiting for whatever comes next, you rummage through your purse for your phone.

At last, he exhales. "That's good. But..."

"But?"

"I just... don't want you to be discouraged if this takes a while, Y/N. Changing your entire outlook on magic won't be easy."

Your fingers pause, and slowly, you close your bag. "What do you mean?"

"I mean progress isn't always linear." Seokjin's frown deepens. "You're going to backslide. That's kind of inevitable. Even the most talented Elemental has times when they slip. If – or should I say when – that happens, I don't want you giving up."

Seokjin's utter sincerity lessens the sting of his words. You can see the truth in this logic, even if it scares you. Part of you continues to wish for a magic solution.