eleven. close, but not your favorite

Volume One.

xi. close, but not your favorite.

There was a collective hush that spread across the dojo as Johnny exited the office

There was a collective hush that spread across the dojo as Johnny exited the office. Some kept quiet out of fear and others because they knew he was going to be upset.

"Three more absences, Sensei," Miguel told the man as he passed by him.

"Bunch of pussies!" Aisha exclaimed. Estella looked at her in surprise. The girl was spending way too much time around Johnny.

"Maybe dial it down a notch, hun." Estella grimaced as she patted Aisha on the back.

Estella watched as Johnny paced up and down before he finally spoke. He seemed nervous, for some reason. Like he was about to tell them his biggest secret.

"No, it's my fault," the blonde man finally sighed.

"Since you joined Cobra Kai, I have been hard in you. I've called you names. I've humiliated you. Some of you I've even hit. And for that... I don't apologize," Johnny's voice raised, so everyone could hear him.

Estella realized that maybe he was about to apologize. "Cobra Kai is about strength. If you're not strong on the inside, you can't be strong on the outside. And right now, you're all weak. And I know that, because I was you," Johnny confessed.

"I used to have no friends. Used to be the weirdo kid," he pointed at Bert. Estella glared at him, throwing an array of curse words at him in her mind. Miguel smiled as he looked at her.

"Not that weird, I still hooked up with babes and all, but... The point is, I wasn't always the badass Sensei I am today. Just like a Cobra, I had to shed my loser skin to find my true power. And you guys will too," Johnny assured.

Estella had to suppress laughter at the ridiculous inspirational speech. It was a good one, but it was still funny.

Suddenly, the bell chimed, catching everyone's attention. Once all the students looked toward the entrance, their jaws dropped. There stood Eli with a bright blue Mohawk and a confident smirk.

Estella caught his eye, the two sharing a smirk. Miguel watched the exchange with an ugly feeling. It made his stomach clench, and his blood boiled with anger. He wanted to wipe that stupid smirk off of Eli's face.

The Waters girl recalled how Eli called her the night before, asking her to help him change his appearance so he could flip the script. She was apprehensive at first but now, seeing what it was doing for the boy's confidence she thought maybe she'd made the right decision.