Phone-Call 3: February 26th, 1965

“Prestwich Hospital—how may I help you?”

            “Miss Abbey?”

            “Simon! Oh, it’s lovely to hear from you, sugar. How are you?”

            “I’m well—just checking in, like Purefoy asked. Do I really have to talk to him this time?”

            “Well, lucky for you he’s not on call at the moment—his shift won’t start for another forty-five minutes, though I’m sure you’re aware of that.”

            “I definitely didn’t time this call to avoid him.”

            “I know he’s stern, Simon, but he really does-”

            “Yeah, yeah, I’m aware. Anyhow, I’m fine; a bit winded after walking around, but I took a nap and I’m fine now. Just having a cup of coffee and writing the letter for Petal—forgot last week’s, so I’m making up for that one now.”

            “…Well, that’s good. I’m…I’m sure she appreciates them.”

            “I like to think so, too. Ill child pen pals for twelve years and counting should be a record, wouldn’t you agree?”

            “Simon, you are all right, aren’t you? It’s almost been three years-”

            “Of course. Never better! It’s just a pastime—keeps her closer, too.”

            “But you don’t even like coffee, Simon, I know you don’t.”

            “Sure I do. Bit of cream and two teaspoons of sugar-”

            “No, that’s how Petal-”

            “I told you I’m fine—it’s an acquired taste, anyway. Well. Tell old Adam Thaddeus I said hello-”

            “For goodness sake, Simon, he’s your doctor, don’t-”

            “Fine, tell Dr. Purefoy I’m doing perfectly okay.”

            “I will. And where’s Miss Halliburton?”

            “Out in the park having a smoke, I think—she comes in every now and then to check on me, though. Anyway, I’ll call you in the morning, all right? I should get ready for supper. Looking as handsome as I do every day isn’t as easy as it seems.”

            “Okay. Have fun, sugar.”

…End of call.