𝖎. 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙙𝙙𝙨 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙖𝙙𝙙 𝙪𝙥

angel . . . !

𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜 - 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝟳𝟮𝗡𝗗 𝗛𝗨𝗡𝗚𝗘𝗥 𝗚𝗔𝗠𝗘𝗦

I 001. the odds don't add up I 

ANGELITA WAVE AWAKES from her sleep to a figure standing above her bed,

"Angel?" A familiar voice asks, stepping towards her elder sister's bed.

Angelita sits up in bed, peering at her little sister. "Paris?" she asks, moving the covers of her bed to allow her sister room to sit. "What's wrong?"

Paris Wave nestles into her big sister's bed. "I'm worried. What if they pick me? I'm not trained." She whispers, reminding Angelita of the date. Reaping Day, the words ring in her head. Her little sister's first reaping day, it makes sense for her to be afraid.

"I won't let anything bad happen to you, Ari." She stares at her little sister protectively. At fifteen, this isn't Angelita's first reaping but she can still remember clearly how terrified she had been at Paris' age.

"What do you mean? If I get picked there's nothing you can do!" Paris says, eyes glassy.

"Hey," Angelita takes the girl's hand, 'Your name's in there once, the odds are in your favour." She reminds her.

They're more likely to pick me than you,

Angelita almost lets the words slip out but manages to catch herself. With the amount of tesserae she's been purchasing, her name is in that bowl around twenty-four times. The thought of being picked to go has been looming over her for the past few weeks. If she did get selected, Angelita has no idea how on earth she would survive. Sure, she attends training lessons at the academy once every few months, but true careers are only finished with their education after six years. Unlike in other districts, District Four careers don't want to volunteer, it's more of a fallback in case your name gets picked out of that basket. 

Her family's salary could never afford such training, not with her Mother being the only present parent after their father's passing. The man was a peacekeeper. They received a telegraph two years ago as well as a bonus payment. Her mother started working two jobs to try and bring in some money. Whilst the mother being present so little wasn't ideal, a cheque was a cheque. Any money that their family could obtain was good money.

Paris nods, hugging her sister. "My name's only in there once." She whispers. "The odds are in my favour," She says, staring up at Angelita. They both know that Angelita's aren't, though, and it would take some guardian angel to protect her from the possibility of selection.

Angelita pulls the girl into a hug, mostly to comfort her but also to distract those piercing blue eyes that are staring at her. "Let me get you some breakfast." She announces, glancing at the clock on her bedside table.