Chapter two- How Many Twins Does It take To Screw In A Lightbulb?

"A little to the left!"

Mizuki stood with her brother sitting on her shoulders, making a rather comical attempt at screwing in a light bulb to the roof of the conservatory. Normally, one of them would've just handled it themselves, but their mother had made it very clear that there would be 'no climbing in the house.' So, here the twins were, trying their best, and failing miserably, to screw in a god forsaken lightbulb.

"Your face is less than a foot away from the ceiling. How are you struggling this much?"

"I'm trying my best!"

Doing this at night probably hadn't been the best idea.

"Dude, just let me try."

"No, your legs are longer! It'll be easier to reach like this." As he spoke, Taiyo finally succeeded in screwing in the lightbulb. "Haha! Let's gooooo!" Unfortunately for the twins, Taiyos celebration had just a bit too much force. And... Thud.

"Bitch." Mizuki said bluntly, sitting up and rubbing the back of her head.

"Heh, sorry Mizuki."

"It's fine." She turned to face her brother and offered him her hand. "Are you ok?" The girl's exasperated tone shifted into a kinder one with her question.

Taiyo grabbed Mizuki's hand and pulled himself up. "Yep, I'm fine! Probably going to be bruised though."

"Good, builds character."

"Like I'm the one who needs their character built."

"I'll have you know, I am fully constructed." Taiyo stared blankly at his sister for a moment, before they heard their mother calling up to them. Mizuki took the first few steps towards the stairs, her brother following close behind.

__________

Chop chop chop*

The soft sound of a knife slicing through something, and then hitting the cutting board could be heard in the kitchen as Mizuki and Taiyo made their way downstairs. Mizuki had to take a few moments to recall where the kitchen was, but once she did, they swiftly made their way there.

The twins mother had her gaze focused on the task of chopping some carrots. Not once did her eyes leave the cutting board as she spoke.

"Would you two mind helping me make something? I'm not sure I'll have enough time to complete it otherwise."

"Sure. What're you making?"

"Just a reunion gift for an old acquaintance in Iki town, that's all." Mizuki raised an eyebrow at her mother. She didn't fully believe any unexplained kind gesture from her didn't have murderous intent behind it.

"I see." The woman seemed to pick up on her daughter's tone, and briefly set down the knife she was holding, looking up slightly and meeting her eyes.

"I'm being serious. That's all it is."

"Ooooh," Taiyo cut into the interaction. "Does mom have a secret lover in Iki town?" Mizuki snorted, and covered her mouth, turning away from her brother.

"No, I don't. If you must know who it's for," Amaka picked up her knife and turned back to the cutting board, and the vegetables on it. "It is for the father of an old friend of mine."

"Scrap what I said about the secret lover thing." Mizuki, having recollected herself from Taiyo's earlier statement, spoke.

"Alright, how can we help?" Amaka smiled, giving them a list of ingredients to find, and what to do with each of them.