Chapter 2: Interlude

"Smell anything?" Leonard asked as Jack peered into the dark woods.

"Like sorrel and bay leaf?" Jack shook his head. "Nay, he's not here." He'd described Benjamin's scent to Leonard but Jack's nose was much more sensitive to it. Too sensitive. It was one of the reasons, he didn't attempt to sleep much. If he did, more often than not he imagined Benjamin's stench in the room when he awoke.

The evening had gone well. He and Leonard had gotten out the cello and lute that Philippe gave them and performed a concert with music particularly selected for Grand-mère. The performance fulfilled a promise they'd given to Philippe. They hadn't realized he wouldn't be there in the flesh to hear them, but both Jack and Leonard smelled his scent in the hall. They hoped he realized how much he meant to them. 

Jack had brought his viol to Sept-Tours, and in this celebration of family, he wanted to include the first piece Philippe had heard him perform. He'd often thought about that time. If he hadn't been rehearsing "Touch Me Lightly" at Hampton Court, they might never have met.

He and Leonard also played a suite of Dowland songs for Grand-mère as she'd requested when they met her at Emilie du Chatelet's home. They finished off with jazz that Ransome would have liked.

They'd played before kings and emperors, but this performance was by far the most meaningful. The last time they played in the great hall was during their first visit to Sept-Tours in the mid-1700s. Only Philippe and Pierre were in the audience. This time Françoise was too, along with everyone in the family—even the twins.

After most went to bed, Jack and Leonard snuck up to the parapets. Benjamin had attacked Phoebe and threatened Mum and the twins. When would he strike next and who would be his target?

"I spoke with Matthew," Leonard said. "He knows we're up here, but Diana doesn't. We agreed not to tell her."

"That's for the best," Jack agreed. "Worrying about Benjamin doesn't accomplish anything."

"Matthew will keep watch on Diana and the twins at night. Marcus is staying close to Phoebe."

"How do you feel about Philippe's wish for you to be involved with the vineyards?" Jack asked.

"If Madame Ysabeau were in charge of Sept-Tours, I would in an instant." Leonard shrugged. "But she's not. Even if Baldwin wanted me around, I can't see myself ever working for him. I'm not interested in being here unless you're with me. Until Baldwin makes a course correction, I doubt we'll be back to Sept-Tours very often."

Jack nodded in agreement. "Spending today as a member of the de Clermonts is something I'll treasure forever, but in the future, I imagine any reunions will be in England or the States."

"If Matthew succeeds in forming the scion, he probably won't spend much time at Sept-Tours either. He and Diana may rotate between New Haven, London, and the Old Lodge." Leonard paused, sniffing the air.

Jack could also smell Fernando's saffron and bitter orange scent. An instant later, he stood next to them.

"Alain and Pierre are monitoring the east and west walls," Fernando said. "I'll take the southern ramparts. Alert me about any unfamiliar vampires. Benjamin could send one of his sons to judge our defenses."

"We'll be ready for them," Leonard said grimly.

"I know you will, but don't try to confront anyone on your own. You don't need to prove yourselves to anyone," he added, fixing his gaze on Leonard. "I know how difficult it is to feel like you belong here. You had a difficult start, and Baldwin didn't help matters."

"Any tips on how to ease the transition?" Leonard asked. "I keep feeling the ground shift under my feet."

Fernando considered for a moment. "Try not to judge Baldwin too harshly. Eventually, you'll need to come to an understanding. Someday you may grow to respect him even if you don't like him. For Hugh and me, Philippe was the challenge. He never appeared to accept us as a couple."