Introduction

July 7th

July 7th

     IT WAS summer. Aurora Kingsley was sitting on the docks, looking out over the marsh. Her feet splashing softly in the waters as she strummed her guitar.

It was her late mothers guitar she had possessed this past January after said woman left the earth due to cancer the year before. Her eyes closed softly as she hummed the song she had recently written.

Her tan skin absorbed the heat of the sun, brown hair in a plait, resting to the small of her back. Her chipped, white-painted nails flew over the strings as her red sundress blew softly from the wind.

People were slowly leaving the docks after prepping their boats for tomorrow morning. She knew it was getting close to sunset but she didn't want to go yet until she felt the heat of the sun disappear.

Aurora hated being inside, choosing to always be outside in the fresh air, no matter the temperature or weather.

An hour passed, she had taken her feet from the water as the sun finally dipped behind the ocean, leaving the sky an orange and dark blue hue.

Looking around, seeing everyone gone, she'd decided it was best to get home for dinner that she had no doubt missed like always.

As she was packing the guitar into its case, something bumped into her, sending her and the guitar into the water below.

A yelp escaped Aurora's lips as she hit the cool water. Her eyes instantly narrowed as she saw the culprit running away with a loud laugh.

"See ya, Kook!" John B shouted after her.

"Asshole!" She yelled after him, setting the ruined guitar onto the dock before pulling herself up.

Her dress could be washed, but the guitar was expensive to repair. Tears flooded her vision as she stared at the drenched guitar.

What an asshole, she thought as she picked up her guitar and case before stomping home, prepared to spend weeks on fixing the guitar if that's what it took. Aurora wasn't letting it go so easily. Especially because of a Pogue.