Chapter 8

Gray clouds blotted across the afternoon sky, seeming to promise a coming storm. A cool breeze drifted over the forest.

By the soldiers' den, Kit felt rather bored after a morning of hunting. He sat, his gaze fixed on his flicking tail tip. With a purr he gave a little pounce and spun, lightheartedly chasing his own tail.

"You're not a kit anymore." Battalon grunted as he walked by, lashing his dark tail. "Mouse brain."

Kit stopped, his ears flattening and tail drooping. But he tried to push away his hurt at the comment. I'm a hunter now! What's wrong with having a little fun when I'm not busy?

The camp was quiet today, and yet every cat was aware of a tension so thick, Kit thought he could slice it with a claw. Ever since the day Tansy had been brought back to camp, the Army had become even more divided. Some cats who had kept their faith in Castiel and Deserve had now lost it since the two had allowed a kittypet to stay in their camp.

Tansy was entering the camp now, her tail high as she padded alongside Castiel. The silver tabby held a squirrel in his jaws, and she blinked apologetically. "Sorry! I hoped I'd catch something today."

After dropping his catch on the prey pile, Castiel turned to her. "I think you did well today." He commented warmly. "You almost caught that mouse, right?"

"Almost doesn't feed any cat." Tansy seemed quite disappointed in herself. "I should be contributing while I'm staying here."

Tansy had initially planned to only spend one night with the Army, and set out the next morning to continue looking for a new twoleg home. But at sunrise when she saw Castiel sending out hunting patrols, she became interested in how hunting worked. Four days had passed since then, and Tansy seemed to have taken a liking to life in the forest.

And that's not all she's taken a liking to. Kit observed as he saw Castiel give the lilac brown she-cat an affectionate nudge. Castiel seems to like her company too. I'm not sure I've ever seen him so... relaxed? He's usually very focused on his duties. I think it's a good thing for him!

But most of the Army didn't share Kit's opinion on the matter. He saw Papercut enter the camp with Bonfire and Flora. The three soldiers cast dark looks at Castiel as they passed him, and Bonfire muttered something to Flora before they headed to the west side of the clearing, where Rosemary lay grooming herself.

As the three reached her, Papercut dropped a plump sparrow at her paws. "There's some good prey out today," He commented. "Enjoy."

Rosemary paused from her grooming, her blue eyes gleaming. "Oh, thank you." She turned to Shredded Ivy, who was laying beside her. "Would you like to share, dear?"

"Of course." Shredded Ivy purred and crouched beside her mate, and the two began ripping feathers from the bird.

Rosemary looked up as Amberrose and Foxshadow approached. "Would you two mind leading a group to scout the border?" She asked. "We don't want any intruders, surely?"

"Yes, Rosemary." Foxshadow nodded, and the couple left to gather a few other soldiers.

Kit watched uncertainly. Rosemary was no longer just growing in popularity. She seemed to be gaining some unspoken authority within the Army. As more and more cats grew frustrated with Deserve and Castiel's behavior, they saw Rosemary as a better cat to rely on. Kit wasn't sure if Deserve was even aware of this, being so distracted by Song and her kits. If Castiel noticed the situation, he wasn't expressing concern. Maybe he's distracted now too, by Tansy. And while I want them to be happy, I think it's important they realize half the Army has lost respect for them!