[Short Story] The Goddess, or the Fox?

sub-genres: retelling/reimagining, romance, mythology, tragedy, betrayal
content warnings: fade-to-black xxx scenes

This short story is one of many from the world's Holy Anthology and recounts the mythology behind Tsunai's patron deity, Tennu, which Kiet refers to in the first half of The Courtesy of Kings. This is a sample of the full story, which is free for my tier 1+ patrons to download, or available as a pdf  e-book through the link in the in-line comment.

★ THE GODDESS, OR THE FOX? 

When the gods still roamed the land, the spirits of nature roamed with them.

The world was not as it is today. Water and Flame still fought for dominance, Light and Shadow were yet to strike balance, and the Seasons chased each other as they pleased.

Only the gods could tame them each into submission, and it was their task to lay the laws of the land and see to its observance. Many did not work alone, though. They had champions and servants, guardians and bhaktee, who spread their laws and meted their justice.

This is the tale of Tennu and her guardian, Kitsuo the nine-tailed fox.

Tennu's Purpose was to shepherd Spring—a carefree spirit who cared little for the war between Summer and Winter—and to watch over Earth, whose grounded nature made him prone to the mischievous spirits of Frost and the malevolent swarms of Plague.

All of them she watched from her home, high in the mountain forests where she had clear view of Ocean and her mood swings down below in the south, the occasional lovers' quarrels between Thunder and Lightning up above, and the dark cloud far in the north where Decay slept in his cave.

It was here—north—that Tennu would begin her day. Every morning she would ascertain that indeed he still slept; and if she saw even a hint of a stir, she would whisper him back to a deep slumber. Only then would she walk south, and as she walked, she would nourish the hungers of Earth. There was a cliff upon the highest point of the mountain, and from there would she gaze down upon Ocean and the tempestuous spirits that often goaded her to a fury. She would keep the highest waves from battering into Earth's most vulnerable shores, with a breath she would send the storm spirits scattering away, and if any of them were feeling particularly disobedient, Kitsuo would swoop down and maul them into submission.

For this, the fox was granted abilities beyond an ordinary kanōhi's usual talents. Her paws were blessed to tread and walk upon water; her long, lavish tails could glide her gently down the greatest heights; and her fangs could pierce anything from shadow to steel.

Thus would their days pass, long after Spring exhausts from the chase, long after Summer nips at her heels and sweeps the land under his heat, and long into the sombre days when finally Autumn surpasses them both.

The forest had shed its last green when the human came, hungry and cold and wet with rain.

It was Kitsuo who found him, collapsed before the shrine gates. He smelled of pine and hope, dirt and sadness, so she nudged him onto her back and carried him into the temple.

He slept for five days more. In the morning of the sixth, he opened his eyes to the layered cross-hatch of cypress beams above him, the soft weaves of rush straw beneath, and the soothing hum of Tennu's hymn.

Her voice was ageless, as rich and smooth as undisturbed waters, and he fell instantly entranced.

'You are awake at last,' said Tennu. 'There is food on the table beside you.'