Chapter 13: Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince

Spring break had shown me one thing: Travis was looking to be a frequent fixture in my life. Never more apparent as when our six month anniversary approached, and the perfect occasion to celebrate was on Opening Day.

Dad, Zack, and I were attending down in LA.. I didn't feel particularly great about calling off work for one day, but it was tradition for Dad and I. Even better, it wasn't every season opener I happened to be dating the starting pitcher. Maybe it wasn't Clayton Kershaw, but it didn't mean I liked Travis any less.

Besides, I had a bet to make good on. Dad wasn't thrilled about it, but I was a woman of my word. My pride was on the line, and for that reason, I was wearing Travis' number at Dodger Stadium. "Sweetheart, I can't defend you as well anymore," Dad warned as we made our way to our seats. Everyone was giving me the weirdest looks, but that was expected. How else would one react to a fan wearing a blue hat and a traffic cone orange shirt? Hell, I couldn't help but feel strange.

"Hold on, I need a picture for good faith," Zack smiled gleefully as he snapped his picture. "I might send it to Travis for good luck." He didn't really need it, though, since every analyst had him down as the favorite to win. It pained me to root against my childhood team. My desire to support Travis, though, outweighed any guilt I felt.

He had a solid start, with very consistent speeds and great accuracy. As the game went on, he began to falter. There was a walk here and there, but no need to panic quite yet. "Your boy sucks!" someone behind us yelled. I kept myself from getting heated and banned from my favorite place on Earth, and focused on watching Travis forge on. It wasn't something I noticed before, but I couldn't imagine how he must have felt hearing the crowd. The jeers began to pour in, but I did my best to counter them. When he was taken out at the end of the 7th, I could see the frustration on his face. He wasn't one to take defeat so easily. As he left the mound, I stood and cheered him on, much to the dismay of everyone. It didn't matter that he couldn't see me this time. I'd know.

We made our way home immediately following the game, since both Zack and I had work the following day. Halfway home, he finally reached out.

"Hey sunshine," he greeted me. His voice was very defeated. "Did you have fun at the game?"

"Yeah, Dodgers won. The pitching was great on both sides, even though you might disagree," I remarked.

"As long as I'm a winner in your eyes. Maybe it'll make up for me being hot garbage."

"I like seeing you play. It makes me happy to see you happy, especially doing something you love so much."

"What if I get to be a Yankee, with 26 rings to my name?"

"Then you're guaranteed I'd never be seen with you anywhere," I joked. But it really wasn't, though. I despise the Yankees.

"I love you for making me feel better. I wish you could be here with me."

"You'll be back home in a few days. We can hang out then, maybe."

"What are you guys doing Friday night?"

"I can ask, but probably nothing. Why?"

"It's the ring ceremony. I was hoping you could come along, maybe bring Zack and your dad along. My parents and Kevin are going to be there."

"Oh, I'm sure Dad wouldn't mind hanging out with your parents during the game. He's a Dodger fan, but likes baseball above all."

"Yeah, you guys will be on the field with me during the ceremony." I paused, replaying his words in my head. Was he really saying what I thought he was saying?