Chapter 1: Time Waits For No One

Hollow.... I stare at my reflection, and I feel nothing. I should feel something...right? It's been 6 years Since the elders confirmed that of which I feared most. 6 years since Nanna departed this world...5 years since he left.

No longer recognizing the person in front of me I focus my attention at the wall to the left of me. Has it really been that long? The ache in my chest returns and I try to ignore it at first.

 That day plays on repeat in my head, over and over. Probing hands, cold equipment so many tests.

My breaths start to come out as pants and at first I don't care, could it really be that bad?

I shake my head and I try to catch my breath. but it doesn't work, the ache starts to spread and I feel like there is something clawing its way to the surface. I reach for my medicine and accidentally knock it to the floor.

I try to get it together but I can't a small part of me doesn't want to, and I feel myself falling slowly.

I somehow manage to catch myself against the tub and with shaky hands I quickly take the pill and drink the bitter liquid that pairs it. I can feel my hands begin to shake harder while my legs begin to feel like ice, and I'm actually scared this time.

Usually when I'm having an episode the medicine works almost instantly, but lately the effects of the medicine have been taking longer and longer to take effect.

I feel my body convulse and I grit my teeth as to not bite my tongue.

The only thing that's left to do is just to wait until it passes.

And finally, after a few minutes I feel my hands start to stop trembling, my legs thaw out and I'm able to sit up. I can't help the groan that escapes me, My body feels as though I've been hit by a truck.

After a few minutes I find the strength to stand and I don't dare look into the mirror. I wash my face and hands before I get myself together for school.

My parents tell me they are overjoyed that I will be the one to lead our family out of the darkness. But I don't want this. I've never really wanted this.

They speak of power beyond my imagination, and I can't bring up the courage to tell them that I don't want it.

I just want to be me.

But to tell them that I don't want what they now consider my birthright, would be the same as telling them that I hate them, that I reject them as my parents and all that they've done for me.

They'd never understand. I can't be this person. I can't be someone responsible for myself let alone an entire race of celestial beings.

I just want to continue being a normal...being. I just want my normal life. I don't want others making decisions for me, and I sure as hell don't want to make decisions for an entire race of  people that may or may not get them killed.

I look myself over once more and gather my tidings. Mother would not like my appearance she'd say, 'No matter how you feel on the inside its should never show on the outside.' Or something along the lines of 'Your father is a very important man there can be no room for failure.'

I manage to dress myself and pull my LOCS into a bun at the crown of my head with four framing my face. I try to use concealer to hide the dark circles that I know mother will notice. Sleep has been elusive as of late. I grab my sunstone crystal and place it around my neck.

Knowing now that I need this more than ever.

As I walk into the kitchen, I see mother standing over the stove making breakfast and father is reading his morning paper sipping his coffee.