CHAPTER 17: SHOWING THE WOUND

Present

While Lincoln finishes putting Lily gently on the bed and lending her Bun Bun to play with, Lola sits on the floor and takes out a small circular object containing pink makeup along with a small sponge to spread the product on the back of her head downstairs and a circular mirror on top, she takes the sponge and puts on her makeup while Lana takes a star-tipped screwdriver from her front pocket and starts to tighten some loose screws on Lincoln's furniture. Leni is just sitting at the lower end of the bed nervously touching her fingers waiting for what would happen.

Lincoln: Well... it's time to talk, Leni. He said sitting next to his older sister.

Leni: Y-yes! The dressmaker said nervously.

Although the twins continued doing their things, they also paid close attention to the conversation that was about to take place between Leni and Lincoln. Lily, on the other hand, is happily playing with Bun Bun.

Lincoln: Leni, these last few weeks have been hard for me. Well, this all started because I instilled in the family that I have bad luck. Thanks to that, I was able to avoid being invited to all family events in its entirety and have time for myself. However, as the days went by, I began to feel lonely and I realized that I had been stupid by driving them away, making them believe that I had bad luck, but when I confessed to you about my ruse... it was already too late, everyone was immersed in superstition and paranoia or so I want to believe, I want to think that it was just that and not that they wanted to make me go through the ordeal that I experienced on purpose, because if I were to be like that... Lincoln clenched his fists tightly. No. He was able to continue speaking because anger drowned out his words.

The twins shuddered and frowned as a sign of concern, Leni continued to look at Lincoln attentively. After a few seconds, the white-haired boy inhaled and exhaled and came to himself to continue explaining.

Lincoln: Anyway, after you wouldn't let me in the house or socialize with you, I came up with a plan to prove I wasn't bad luck at all. At Lynn's baseball game, I snuck into the locker room and borrowed the suit of the team mascot. After putting the suit over my clothes, I entered the field and I was cheering and doing some pirouettes so that no one would suspect. When our sister won the game, I went to celebrate with you, I tookthe head off the costume and told you that it was not bad luck because Lynn had won the match with me. While there, after they apologized and hugged me, the next day when we were going to go to the beach, they demanded that I continue wearing the suit because it contained my bad luck.

Memories returned to Lincoln's mind to overwhelm him once more.

Flashback

Flashback Lincoln: What are you saying? He said completely confused when before getting into the family vehicle, his sister stopped him to put on the squirrel suit.

Flashback Lynn Jr.: That you have to wear this suit! It is more than obvious that it contains your bad luck. Sentenced the athlete.

Flashback Lisa: It is a hypothesis but perhaps our sports unit is correct. Evidently, while you wore the suit at the sporting event yesterday, she and her entire team performed magnificently. I would even dare to say that she broke her own record. The girl said with her usual robotic voice.

Flashback Luna: So Lincoln could give good luck with the suit on? The rocker said shocked.

Flashback Lisa: It is an assumption. I would have to do a series of tests to confirm my theory.

Flashback Lincoln was stunned by his family's words. All this time he felt bad about how his own lie had gotten him into this trouble but now hearing his sisters debating whether he would have to wear that stupid outfit to lock up his supposed bad luck and giving them good luck awakened a feeling that had been dormant until now, anger.

Flashback Lincoln: Are you kidding? What the hell is going on with you? He said angrily while waving his arms.

Flashback Lynn Jr.: With us? What the hell is wrong with you, brother? Perhaps you want something bad to happen because you refuse to wear a suit that can contain your bad luck and make our luck better.

Flashback Lincoln: Are you listening, Lynn? Did you hit your head in your game yesterday and look dumb? Lincoln said angrier.

Flashback Lucy: Brother, please.

Flashback Lincoln: Save your words, Lucy, you are the one I trust the least when it comes to this matter. You did not hesitate to point the finger at me when this bad luck thing exploded in my face. What a fool I was to think that you would be on my side. Flashback Lincoln said giving Flashback Lucy a hard look.

Although, almost imperceptible, an expression of sadness took place on Lincoln's face.

Flashback Lola: Lincoln, stop acting like a baby and put on the suit. We'll be late for the beach and I won't be able to get my great tan.

Flashback Lincoln: I'm not going to put on the suit, period. The white-haired boy said as he picked up the squirrel suit and tossed it onto the sidewalk.

The Loud parents get out of the vehicle and look disappointed at the boy.

Flashback Lynn Sr.: Well, I'm sorry, Lincoln, but I don't think you can join us on the trip today. Something bad could happen on the road.

Flashback Rita: Maybe you can go to Aunt Ruth's. She conveniently has a collection of anti-bad luck items in her house.

Lincoln's world fell apart. Everything he did was in vain. It seems that what he did was for the worse. He felt great pain his heart and also anger and bitterness rose up his throat.

Flashback Lincoln: Oh, yeah? Well, Aunt Ruth and her cats can go suck lemons for me! He said in a fit of anger.

The family gasped in surprise while Lincoln frowned.

After that, Lincoln was punished and sent to his aunt's house as well, where he had to take care of the chores and massage her feet, when he finished with everything she ordered and he ran to vomit in the bathroom that day.

End of Flashback

Total silence reigned for a few brief moments in Lincoln's room. The twins were teary-eyed as they recalled the past events and as they were directly or indirectly involved, Lily was fast asleep as she hugged the plush rabbit, Leni was processing everything her brother told her and Lincoln had a frustrated expression and looked at the ground.

Lincoln: Sometimes I think, what would have happened if I wore that suit? Would we all get along again? Would we have been a united family again? Lincoln looked up and looked at Leni who was crying, tears running down her cheeks and mucus running down her nose.

Leni: LINCOLN! The dressmaker yelled as she hugged her brother.

Leni: I-d-didn't have... She cries—you — I brought... bad... She cries again. The blonde cried inconsolably as she tried to articulate her words and failed miserably.

This seemed cute to Lincoln, she is supposed to be the oldest but Lincoln always ended up comforting her in one way or another when she was sad, it's as if he was her older brother.

Lincoln: Don't worry, Leni, it's fine, everything is fine. He said while, with his left hand, he made circular movements on Leni's back to calm her down.

She continued to ry inconsolably. She had never felt so sad in her life. When all the parts of the puzzle about her brother's situation came together in her head, she felt great pain for having treated her brother the way she treated him. She was ashamed of herself for how she thought her little brother was unlucky, she failed as his friend, as his older sister. She feels her heart break like glass falling to the ground. Lincoln gestured for the twins to come closer, Lana and Lola listened and hugs Leni and Lincoln.