Chapter 23

"Bye baby," my mom hugged me tight

"Bye baby," my mom hugged me tight. "It was good seeing you all. I missed my children. You most of all," she whispered in my ear. I found that hard to believe but I took her word for it.

"Bye Mama," my heart fluttered, as I hugged her back. A small part of me missed her too, no matter how bad she got on my nerves.

"Don't get pregnant," she kissed my cheek.

My cheeks flooded with heat, my arms dropped away from her. "Mom seriously?" What makes her think in her right mind she could assume that I would be having sex this summer?

She winked and climbed into the passenger seat. With a final wave, my parents were gone and their weekend stay was over. I watched the car roll down the street and on the way to the airport.

A dark blue car passed by my parents and turned into Reid's driveway. Cole stepped out in a jersey and some shorts, making his way to the door. A couple of seconds later the door swung open, Reid behind the door and a smile on his face as he let him in.

He was about to close the door when I caught his eye. Before I could turn around and pretend that I didn't see him see me he called my name.

"Wanna come in?" He asked from his door.

I looked at my grandparent's door where my siblings remained, hogging up the free space in the house. I could use a break from them. I found myself walking towards Reid's house and slipping in behind him.

"Ready to get your ass kicked," Cole strode through the walkway with an orange basketball in his hands. "Awh, come on man no fair, we said this would be an even game. One on one."

"She's not here to play, she's going to watch. She doesn't even know how to play," Reid scoffed.

"Says who?" I placed my hands on my hips.

"Says me, I beat your ass in volleyball. What makes you think basketball would be any different."

"Because I'd be on my own team. With Cole," I joined his side. "That's okay with you right?" I turned to him to get consent.

"Yeah, I'm down. As long as I can beat his ass in a game." He jabbed a finger at Reid.

"Deal."

"Whatever, I can win a game on my own, I don't need a second player, I count as two," he held up two fingers to demonstrate what he meant.

"Stop the yapping and let's play." I swooped my hair into a low ponytail. Thank god I was dressed in shorts and a random t-shirt I owned. My sneaks were white but old so the damage wouldn't kill me.

"Are you putting lip gloss on for a basketball game," Reid asked me.

I looked into my phone's camera so it wouldn't smudge. I smacked my lips and tossed my phone and gloss on a nearby table. "Yup, gotta look good for when I win."