too many lovers

Eloise let her fingers delicately touch each key, and the sweet tune of "Moonlight Sonata" filled the room. Eloise let her foot find a pedal to louden the music so it could echo and Tristan made himself comfortable beside her. He placed his hand to do the higher notes so she could keep the melody going. Tristan continued to move his hands along the top and watched Eloise. He watched the concentration on her face and the emotion in the slightest facial changes. Tristan and Eloise learned this song years before, as they were put to do piano lessons young. 

Still, they only learned it together, where they were working in correspondence, watching each other's hand move to another key as if it was a cue to release some other sound to penetrate the soul, to open the eyes. Tristan found this to be his favorite song simply because it reminded him of this newfound freedom from his parent's constant bickering as they filed for divorce when he was younger, Eloise simply liked that each time she moved her hand down the piano's key, she could see her favorite person playing along with her. 

He was not concentrated this time though, and Eloise could feel his eyes on her, and with this intensity, she hit the keys harder than softened. This hardening of the notes made Tristan look forward and the music started to slow down but was abruptly stopped as the door flew open and a random couple came bursting through the door, their tongues slipping into each other's mouths. Eloise turned her eyes from them to Tristan and jumped to her feet, Tristan doing the same, filing right behind her. Eloise let out a laugh as she finally processed what she saw and Tristan laughed then stared right past her. She let her laughter die out and looked at what he was looking at.

It was Gilmore walking away, frustrated by her grandmother. Eloise slowly turned back to see his eyes still following Gilmore. Eloise looked to a chair and sat as she saw Tristan go towards Gilmore but retreat to get a drink. Eloise looked out the window near the chair she was sitting on, and pushed her hair from her face.

She was bothered gravely by what she saw but she just sat there, her legs crossed and her head down looking at her nails. They were a soft gray color, but that didn't keep her focus for long as she lifted her head back up and looked around. Eloise could lie and say she was just looking around and observing the people, but she knew deep down she was looking for Tristan.

But Tristan was everywhere, he was engraved into her mind, embedded into her heart. She watched as he finally came into sight and she saw him look at the room Gilmore had gone into, and stand for a bit before walking over to Eloise. 

"Let's go, this party is getting boring," Tristan said, as he put his hand out to help Eloise stand up from her comfortable position on the chair, but Eloise gathered her stuff and got up without his help. He looked down at his hand and Eloise replied, sarcasm feeding into the end of what she said, "You looked like you were having a marvelous time, actually. I'm shocked!" 

He chuckled as he opened the door for Eloise, as no one was standing there to open it anymore. Eloise let herself through and Tristan followed her to his car. As soon as they were both in the car, Eloise picked up on a small scent of something. Alcohol.

"Did you drink?", Eloise questioned as he turned on the ignition. 

"I had only two small shots, nothing major, I promise you, I'll get you home safe," Tristan said. He was not lying when he said that, he would never let anything bad happen to Eloise, even if it cost him himself. He just couldn't find it in him to let anything happen to her. 

Eloise looked at him with concern and said, "No. I'll drop you home and walk myself."

"No, are you crazy? It's almost midnight," Tristan said. 

"You're not 100% sober, so I call the shots right now. So get out of the driver's seat or I'll open the door and push you out," Eloise demanded. 

Tristan looked at her and said, "You should just stay over." Eloise rolled her eyes at this and said, "I have to get ready for the college fair so no can do." 

Tristan huffed and said, "I don't want you getting hurt, E. Especially walking alone at night, it's not safe." 

Eloise motioned for him to get out of the car with two flicks of her hand and she stepped into the driver's seat as he walked to the passenger seat. Tristan sat down with his arms crossed over his body and his mouth parted, staring at Eloise. Eloise started driving on, stopping too fast at every stop sign and running at least 3 red lights, but she got to Tristan's house. She looked at Tristan looking out the window and said, "The house is so empty, did you know that, E?" 

Eloise narrowed her eyes and said, "I wouldn't say it's empty, there's plenty of things, I'd call it simple rather-".

"Not empty materialistically, empty person-wise. I haven't heard from my mom for a bit. I get worried," he said with no emotion in his voice. 

Eloise shifted her body forward to look at Tristan, for the first time, she didn't know what to do. Eloise was never really good at helping others emotionally. She got out of the car and opened the door for him, he looked about ready to cry. Eloise watched as he placed his feet on the sidewalk, his eyebrow muscle twitching. Eloise felt something inside of herself shatter. 

Out of nowhere, she leaned into him and placed her arms around his neck, attempting to embrace him, she felt as Tristan continued moving out of the car to stand and hug her back. She felt his breath hitch as if he was holding back tears. 

Eloise pulled him closer and felt his face bury into her neck, even though the height difference made him slightly hunch his back. Eloise whispered, "I'm sure she's fine, Tristan. If you have to cry, that's fine too. I'm here for you." Tristan slowly removed his head from her shoulder and squeezed her and they both released. His eyes were a bit red. 

He was going to cry and his veins slightly popped from them, which meant he had more than two small shots.

Eloise watched him stand in front of her, he stared into her eyes. He looked at her for a bit then started walking towards his door. 

Eloise didn't turn around until she heard Tristan shout, "I love you, Eloise, I truly do."