Family sucks

I curled myself into the Princess, my face pressing against the juncture of her neck and shoulder.

I could feel myself being carried and moved but it wasn't until I heard the sound of guard's boots marching that I was fully pulled from sleep.

"How long before we're ready to leave?" The Princess asked.

I opened my eyes to find myself being carried down the long corridors of the royal residence halls. The Princess held me in her arms tightly, her movement so smooth I had no memory of being lifted. I was aware that I was in shorts and a t-shirt with a blanket wrapped around me.

"We will be ready to leave in 6 minutes, my Royal Highness." A guard responded.

The doors to the Royal residence halls were opened wide and cold night air washed over me. There was no hint of light.

"What's happening?" I asked against her as she descended the steps to a vehicle and carefully placed me inside. I missed her hold on me immediately.

"We're returning to the kings' castle and court." She told me simply before rounding the vehicle and getting in the other side.

"In the middle of the night?" I asked, my voice groggy with sleep and confusion.

She didn't answer me, and I rubbed my eyes and looked at her. Her expression was strained. She seemed to be deep in thought, her knee rising and falling.

I untangled myself from the blanket and scooted over to her, pressing my forehead against her shoulder.

"What's going on? Are you okay?" I asked and felt her press her lips against my head.

"We can't talk now." She said simply and I nodded my head against her in understanding.

I reached forward and took her hand in mine, head resting against her shoulder, she didn't protest.

A few minutes passed before a thumping on the roof of the car startled me and we began moving.

I fell asleep again during the journey and woke to bright morning light flashing through the surrounding mountains.

"We're still traveling." I commented as I sat up.

The Princess turned to me and it was clear that she had not slept.

"We're close now. We're approaching via the private entrance through the Dark Mountains." She told me and I looked out the window at the Dark Mountains with a mixture of intrigue and fear.

The Dark Mountains were so named as it was claimed that no light penetrated through the dense canopy to the ground below. I heard stories as a child that so many fell and found their death in the darkness of the forest, that it was haunted and those brave enough to enter, rarely returned.

"Are the stories true?" I asked her. In the light of day, the mountains so close to us and the impenetrably thick forest that lined them didn't seem all that scary.

"The Dark Mountains are dangerous only to those that are unfamiliar with how to navigate them." She told me, her arm slipping around my waist and pulling me into her side.

"Are they dangerous to you?" I asked looking up at liquid silver.

She smiled mischievously.

"The Dark Mountains and her forests were practically a second home during my childhood." She said, bringing her free hand up to push my hair out of my face and brush her knuckles along my jaw.