Four: the jungles trail

As the sun sets on the horizon, we make it home just in time for dinner. My stupid brother knocks into me, and I fall into the entrance of our Nooiëi. It means home. "Beatrice, please be more careful. I beg of you." my mothers words surround my thoughts. I roll my eyes as I get no help to retrieve myself from the ground. I do it myself like always. My siblings laugh at my actions and walk away from me.

"Here's your dinner, sweetheart." my mother sounds in the alien language. I take the bowl of Iluie. I groan. "What?" my mother asked confusingly. If she had eyebrows, she would probably raise one of them. I shake my head. "How come the gathers hasn't came back with the fruits? I thought you told them to come last night." I admit. "They'll be here. I want what's best for the clan." she gives the other bowls to my siblings. I roll my eyes and continue eating my dinner.

Mom and dad sent out five gatherers to go out to  the jungles trail, right by the creek that I used to go to when I was younger. Before my stupid brother came along. But they still haven't collected all of the remaining fruits. I know somebody's father, that is a gather and a fisherman, but she had told me that she hasn't gotten anything from her father. She said it's just low today. It's never low. I know for myself and they're just taking it for themselves and not for the clan.

Dinner continues, but I eat by myself by the outside of the my Nooiëi. I watch people begin to get ready for bed, and it begins to get darker where nobody goes. I sigh. "Mom, what did you do before you became alien?" I scoot to turn around, looking at my mother curiously. I tilt my head while my ears flatten ready to listen. My mother turned over after eating the meal. "What did I do? I don't really remember." she put the bowl into the basket of empty bowls and what not. "I assume I just lived my life normally, kind of like how we do it." she said, without looking at me because she was too busy making sure everybody was well fed, and all of the bowls were not left out.

"Live your life normally? Your friend hated us." my dad charms in. "Who?" Nico asked. My parents both look at him. "It doesn't matter, what does matter is that I have you." mom walked over to my brother and pinched his cheek. He giggled and pushed her away gently. "Mom! I'm not a baby anymore," he eye rolled still smiling. "Yeah, we all know that, Nico." I rest the bowl down of where I was sitting and make my way upstairs of the swirly stairs.

Sooner or later, my siblings join me. They all go to sleep by themselves, but I look outside, gazing at the stars above us. I always wanted to be one with the stars. Legend says, the first alien on Rockuo could reach the stars, but everybody says they were Intuee, air people. They were the first. They can fly, they don't have feathers, but the wings are built like an dragon. They're built from the waist and from skin, it looks uncomfortable, but apparently it's quite comfortable to them.

I think it's fascinating to my knowledge. I hope I get reincarnated into something far away from here. Mom and dad said they want me to be the next leader's wife, and maybe if I'm lucky, I could be leader all by myself without a husband to my name. I don't need a mate for my leadership. I might need one because I can't take care of a whole big clan that owns the jungle on the island for everybody to share. Of course we're the only clan that needs at least 15 people at most for many things.

I just hope it doesn't get too out of hand once I become leader.

I fall asleep gazing at the stars once more. They are so satisfying and so peaceful to watch that they had brought me to my slumber.

A few hours have passed of quietness and peace in the Kazza. Soon after, the gunshots only awake me. I look around. My ears go up like Finemi's wings getting ready to fly. I shook. No aliens have ever used such material. The only thing it could be? Sunntas.

I was scared. I woke up my little brother because I didn't want to scare Lillybean. It took a while, but my brother soon gave up of his slumber and sat up. "Nico, I heard something." I whisper shaking him softly. "H-huh? So?" he rubbed his eyes and looked away from me. I took my hands away from shaking him. "Gunshots. I think I might have an idea of what it could be." I explain. "Doubt it. Go back to sleep, Beatrice." he whispers back. He was trying to get comfortable again, but I wouldn't let him.

"I know what I heard." I say, defending my case. "We have to warn mom and dad so they can warn the clan before anything bad happens!" I continue whispering. "We'll check in the morning, you know how mom and dad get when you wake them up late." he sighs. He rolled over and began to go back to sleep. I know what I heard. I was certain. I rush downstairs to my two parents. They looked so peaceful sleeping but first I woke up my mother since she knew more about them than anybody.

"Mom, you need to wake up. Somebody—" I got cut off by another gun shot that woke up both of my parents. My father was the first to stand. My mother stayed where she was. "That's what I heard." I begin to stop whispering like I was upstairs. Finally, my younger siblings rush downstairs. My sister began crying while running into my mothers arms once my mother was alarmed and stood up. She hugged her, like any loving mother. "I'm going to go check what that was. Do you think you could warn the clan?" my dad turned back to us.

He was mostly focused on my mother. She nodded silently. Once my father had ran, we both started walking out of our home. Havia ran towards us standing next to Nico and I. "Did you hear that too?" she turned her head towards him. "No, not the first time, but the second time it was loud." he admits to her. At this point, everybody started waking up. We watched. Everybody went down the ladders of the treehouses and waited for instructions. My mom stepped in while my father was gone.

We stood in the crowd, it was loud and hurt my little sisters and my own ears. I covered her ears so she wouldn't have to be going through the pain.

"People! Listen closely," she began to speak in the alien language that almost everybody can speak. "Sunntas have entered our home. We cannot start any more wars, more wars will create worse." she explains. "We will camp in Colo'mo for the time being. The enemies will eventually calm down and return back to their home. We have nothing to worry about. Gather everything you can, anything that could help the clan." she finished. Everybody started walking away and packing up for the big trip. Including myself.

Me and my two siblings went back to the tree and went upstairs to pack everything that would be useful. I packed all of Lilybean's toys and everything she'll need. Nico of course couldn't decide what he wanted to bring, so I helped him. It was quite easy.

Our journey started once our father came back with no news. We were just happy he wasn't killed or taken.

Then, we began our trip away from Kazza. I looked back one last time, nobody was in sight, which was good. I was going to miss it. I have so many memories there. I know I'll be back, but I'm just going to miss what was once there. I stop for a moment, having my head still turned. "Beatrice! Keep up!" Lillybean runs over to me and grabs my hand. I turn towards her and smile. "Yeah, okay." I say clearly trying not to sound rude. I let her bring me back to our group.